The State of Tennessee requires that students with F-1 visas have and maintain medical, hospitalization, evacuation and repatriation insurance as a condition of admission and continued enrollment at the institution. Students must have insurance for the Fall and Spring semesters while in the U.S. taking classes (and summer only if it is their first semester.) The insurance start date should be no later than the first day of classes and should be valid until the last day of exams. Whoever does not upload proof of insurance will have a hold placed on their account which will prevent them from registering for classes.
Option 1: Purchase Insurance through the University
The University of Memphis provides health insurance coverage for international students for the academic year. Students can purchase health insurance coverage by going to https://coverage2u.com/. Students should enroll in the plan for full-time, degree-seeking international students. In order to register for the Summer term, students must purchase insurance covering the period starting in May and lasting through the end of the summer semester.
Please see the https://coverage2u.com/school/university-of-memphis/ website for pricing details.
Option 2: Provide Proof of Insurance from an Independent Carrier
Proof of coverage through an independent carrier consists of (1) the insurance company completing the Certification of Insurance from an Independent Carrier Form. Please upload this to our portal. Coverage provided by an independent carrier must be equal to or greater than the coverage provided by the University of Memphis plan.
- Major Medical Expenses Coverage: $500,000 USD per injury or sickness to match the current plan.
- Repatriation Expense: In the event of the death of the insured person, expenses, as may reasonably be incurred, will be payable up to $50,000 USD for returning the body of the insured person to his/her place of residence in his/her home country.
- Medical Evacuation Expenses: If the insured person is unable to continue his/her academic program due to injury or sickness, expenses, as may reasonably be incurred, will be payable up to $25,000 to evacuate the student to another medical facility or to their home country.
Please see the following form: Insurance Form
To the Insurance Carrier: By completing this form you verify this student has purchased, through your company, a policy which provides coverage equal to or greater than the standard set forth by the University of Memphis insurance policy.
Option 3: Provide Proof of Insurance through a Government Sponsorship or Other University-Approved Official Sponsorship
Students holding insurance coverage through a government sponsorship or through a university-approved official sponsorship must provide proof of coverage in the form of an official letter from the sponsoring agency and a copy of the provided policy (in English). The coverage must be equal to or greater than the coverage provided by the University of Memphis plan.
- The University of Memphis plan includes coverage for immunizations including Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Herpes Zoster, HPV, Influenza, MMR, Meningococcal, Pneumococcal, Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis, Varicella & TB Testing, which are highly utilized. The alternate plan should include immunization coverage.
- The plan deductible is $100 per year and pays 80% coinsurance in-network. Any alternate plan should have a deductible of no more than $100 and pay at least 80% coinsurance.
- Alternate plans should have a U.S. claims payment office and a U.S. phone number.
- Alternate plans should be in place for the entire semester/period of coverage required by the University to maintain status.
Documents that Will be Acceptable as Proof of Coverage Must:
- Meet or exceed the amounts listed above
- Provide coverage for at least the current session
- Provide coverage for both inpatient and outpatient services
- Provide coverage for both physical and mental health services
- Provide coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation*
- Be written in English
- Contain clear instructions for filing claims
- Include company contact information, including addresses, phone numbers, fax numbers and email addresses
*Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation (w/o Medical)
Click here to purchase the Evacuation/Repatriation rider only.
Pricing: $40 Annually or $23 Semi-annually
Beta Scholastic - Benefits
|Emergency Medical Evacuation||$350,000|
|A.M. Best Rating||A|
|Additional coverage provisions for (see contract for details of these)||Baggage Delay, Natural Disaster, AD&D and Passport Replacement|
|Plan can be renewed 120 days prior to expiration date|
|Terms and Conditions of Insuring Contract Apply|