International Student Services
The International Student Services division of the Center for International Education Services welcomes you to The University of Memphis! Whether you are already a current student or this is your first time visiting our website, we are happy to have you! The ISS is equipped with countless resources for you as an international student, and these resources are all outlined within this website. Please take your time to review these resources, and if you have any questions, head over to the Frequently Asked Questions Page (FAQs).
Important Information About I-20 Start Dates and Entry to the U.S.
Please see the most recent pandemic-related information from the U.S. government regarding travel to the U.S. here.
* Program Start Date refers to the start of Orientation and other new-student activity. This is the ideal
time for the student to arrive. We normally have set this as the day of Orientation,
the Wednesday prior to the start of classes. Our next Orientation session for F-1
students is August 18, 2021.
Missed the Summer 2021 New Student Orientation?
Attendance at International Student Orientation is mandatory for all new and transfer F-1 international students. Students must complete the asynchronous online orientation "SEVIS Check-In" located on the International Portal and notify ISS. An ISS team member will contact you about making up the orientation.
* Session Start Date refers to the first day of classes.
* Officers at the port of entry may possibly decide to let a student in late, but this is not guaranteed. If the student has a flight that is one or two days later than the Program Start Date on the I-20, our office can send a letter recommending late entry, but we can not recommend late entry to the U.S. beyond the last day of late registration on campus.
* Students are allowed to arrive 30 days prior to the start date shown on the I-20. *Note - due to pandemic conditions, some countries may find that entry to the U.S. is barred until August 1st, 2021.
* F-1 students must enroll in full-time hours within 30 days of arrival inside the U.S. For undergraduate students, this means 12 hours in total, 9 of which must be on campus. For graduate students, 9 hours of course enrollment is required in total, with 6 of those hours on campus.
Program Start Date: August 18
Session Start Date: August 23