International Student Services
The International Student Services division of the Center for International Education Services welcomes you to The University of Memphis! Whether you are already a current student or this is your first time visiting our website, we are happy to have you! The ISS is equipped with countless resources for you as an international student, and these resources are all outlined within this website. Please take your time to review these resources, and if you have any questions, head over to the Contact Us page to speak with one of our very helpful Student Advisors.
Fall 2020 New Student Orientation
Fall Orientation for all new and transfer F-1 international students will be held online, and the on-campus portion, to include TB skin testing, will take place August 12. Please note, even for online international students, Orientation is mandatory. Students not in attendance will be required to attend a make-up session. Please bring your passport and I-20 with you. See more information on our New Students page.
Important Information About I-20 Start Dates and Entry to the U.S.
* Program Start Date refers to the start of Orientation and other new-student activity. This is the ideal time for the student to arrive. We normally have set this as the day of Orientation, the Wednesday prior to start of classes.
* Session Start Date refers to the first day of classes.
* Officers at the port of entry may possibly decide to let a student in late, but this is not guaranteed. If the student has a flight that is one or two days later than the Program Start Date on the I-20, our office can send a letter recommending late entry, but we can not recommend late entry to the U.S. beyond the last day of late registration on campus.
* Students are allowed to arrive 30 days prior to the start date shown on the I-20.
* F-1 students must enroll in full time hours within 30 days of arrival inside the U.S. For undergraduate students, this means 12 hours in total, 9 of which must be on campus. For graduate students, 9 hours of course enrollment is required in total, with 6 of those hours on campus.
* Students are definitely allowed to start with online classes for Fall One if they
can not arrive by Aug. 17, and then add the mandatory on-campus classes for Fall Two
if they can arrive by October 5, the first day of Fall Two. Note that if arriving
in Fall Two, the total of 12 for undergrads and 9 for graduate students still applies.
Program Start Date: August 12
Session Start Date: August 17
Program Start Date: September 30
Session Start Date: October 5
Program Start Date: January 13
Session Start Date: January 19