New Students (No US Visa Status)

The checklist below is for any individual intending to enter the U.S. as an F-1 visa holding student. To request for an I-20, please click on the button below:


1. Complete all academic requirements for admission to a degree program. This step is handled exclusively by the Admissions Office for undergraduates or the Graduate Admissions section of the Graduate School for students pursuing Masters or Ph.D. programs. Please go to www.memphis.edu and choose the "Apply Now" link to get started.

2. Upload your affidavit of support form with banker's signature, or bank letter detailing funding, graduate assistant offer letters (if any), government sponsorship letter, or any combination thereof to your I-20 application.

  • Note that government sponsorship letters must specifically mention The University of Memphis as the designated school for the student, and government sponsorship letters must cover one full year (12 months) of student costs if they will be used as the sole source of funding.
  • Download the Affidavit of Support form HERE.

3. Upload a scanned copy of your passport's data page, showing your name, date of birth, and passport expiration date to your I-20 application.

  • Note that F-1 visa holders are required to maintain a passport that is at least 6 months from expiration while inside the U.S.

4. Our office is required to collect an address that is outside of the U.S. and that is an actual physical location. Even if we send the I-20 to a postal box at a later time, we must report an address that is not a P.O. Box, but is instead the location of your residence.

5. If any spouse or underage child will come with you as F-2 dependents, please indicate this in your I-20 application.

  • Note: If your dependents will come to the U.S. after you have received your I-20, please complete the 'Add New Dependent' form. 

Once all items are submitted, our office will process your I-20. 

If you already have the F-1 visa, please go to I-20 SEVIS Transfer-In information page