Undergraduate Teaching Licensure

Undergraduate Teaching Licensure is available in the following areas:

  • Early Childhood PreKindergarten-3rd grade
  • Elementary Kindergarten-5th grade
  • English as a Second Language PreKindergarten-12th grade
  • Instrumental Music Kindergarten-12th grade
  • Interventionist 6th-12th grade (Special Education, Modified)
  • Interventionist Kindergarten-8th grade (Special Education, Modified)
  • Mathematics 6th-12th grade
  • Physical Education Kindergarten-12th grade
  • Visual Arts Kindergarten-12th grade
  • Vocal/General Music Kindergarten-12th grade

Learn more about the Practitioner Initial Teaching Licensure> and the Practitioner Occupational License>.

Practitioner (Initial) Teaching License

The Practitioner (Initial) Teaching License is issued to candidates who have successfully completed the Residency Year or the Clinical Teaching Semester. The following information will be presented to candidates at the end of their respective programs.

Undergraduate candidates applying for a Tennessee Teaching License must complete the following:

  • Have completed ALL teacher licensure coursework prescribed on your degree sheet.
  • Have a successful edTPA score.
  • Have a conferred Bachelor's degree official transcript is required prior to applying. 
  • Complete the Initial and Add-On Endorsement Teaching License Form> 
  • Confirm that all of your Praxis II test scores were sent to The University of Memphis (code: 1459) and the Tennessee Department of Education (code: 8190). NOTE: The last four digits of your SSN must appear on your score report.

Important Websites

  • For information on fee payments, visit the University & Student Business Services website
  • To lookup classes, please follow the instructions provided on the Registrar's website under "Class Offerings." (Class schedules are available online, usually one month before registration opens.)
  • For information on how to register for courses, please view the Registration Quick Guide. (Before registering for courses, you must call 901-678-2377 so the "Alternate PIN" can be cleared by an advisor.)