Dr. Mihalis M. Golias
Associate Professor, Civil Engineering
About Dr. Mihalis M. Golias
Mihalis M. Golias, Ph.D. is an Associate Professor with the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of Memphis. His teaching and research covers the areas of maritime and freight transportation; physical network vulnerability; capital/operational resource allocation for network improvements; and multi-level multi-criteria decision making.
- 2017-18 Game theory applications for seaport cooperation, competition, and co-opetition. USDOT/FMRI
- 2017 Benchmarking freight lanes and identifying dedicated corridor opportunities. Private sector.
- 2017-18 Modeling Adoption of Autonomous Vehicle Technologies by Freight Organization. USDOT/FMRI
- 2017-18 Smart City Innovation Hub: Phase I-Development of a Readiness Index. Research Investment Fund, University of Memphis, Division of Research and Sponsored Research Programs
- 2016-18 SHRP2 Implementation Assistance Program: Work Zone Impacts and Strategies Estimator (WISE) Software (R11). FHWA
- 2017-18 Improving resilience of freight networks in West Tennessee. T-DOT
- 2017 SHRP2 Implementation Assistance Program: User Incentives Using PlanWorks: Better planning. Better projects. (C01). FHWA
- 2016-17 Identifying Cost-Effective, High-Return, and Quickly Implementable Improvements to Address Freight Congestion and Mobility Constraints in Tennessee. TDOT
Pujats* K., Golias M.M., Mishra S., Marine Container Terminal Cooperation: A Nash Bargaining Approach. 97th Annual Meeting of the TRB. Washington, DC, 2018.
Konur D., Golias M.M. (2017) Loading Time Flexibility in Cross-docking. Systems Procedia Technology (In print)
Dadashi* A., Dulebenets M. Golias M.M. Sheikholeslami A. (2017) A continuous berth scheduling model at multiple marine container terminals with tidal considerations. Maritime Business Review. (In print)
Haque* K., Mishra S., Paleti R., Golias M.M., Sarker* A., Pujats* K. (2017) Truck parking utilization analysis using truck GPS data. ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, Part A: Systems (In print)
Higgs B., Golias M.M., Mishra S. Multi-level multi-objective vulnerability assessment of transportation networks. 96th Annual Meeting of the TRB. Washington, DC, 2017.
Higgs B., Naimi* A., Golias M.M., Mishra S. An innovative approach to solve the network design problem concerning intelligent vulnerabilities. Annual Meeting of the TRB, Washington, DC, 2016.
Dulebenets M., Pujats* K., Golias M.M., Mishra S. Robust Liner Shipping Scheduling: A Game Theoretic Approach. Annual Meeting of the TRB, Washington, DC, 2016
Dulebenets M., Pujats* K., Golias M.M., Mishra S., Megaships in Marine Transportation: A Critical Literature Review and Extensions. Annual Meeting of the TRB, Washington, DC, 2016
- Mishra S., Amit K., Golias M.M., Welch T., Taghizad H., Haque* K. (2016) Transportation investment decision making for medium to large transportation networks. Transportation in Developing Economies. 2:18, doi:10.1007/s40890-016-0023-8
- Mishra S., Golias M.M., Sharma S., Boyles S. (2015) Optimal funding allocation strategies for safety improvements on urban intersections. Transportation Research Part A. 75:113-133.
- Dulebenets* M., Golias, M.M., & Mishra, S., 2015. The Green Vessel Schedule Design Problem: Consideration of Emissions Constraints. Energy Systems, Springer, pp. 1-23. DOI: 10.1007/s12667-015-0183-3.
- Dulebenets* M., Golias M.M., Mishra S., Heaslet C. (2015) Evaluation of the floaterm concept at marine container terminals via simulation. Simulation Modeling Practice and Theory. 54:19-35.
- Flaskou* M., Dulebenets* M., Golias M.M., Mishra S., Rock B. (2015) Analysis of Freight Corridors Using Truck GPS Data. Transportation Research Record, 2478:113-122.
- Golias M.M., Portal* I., Konur D., Kaisar E., Kolomvos G. (2014) Robust vessel scheduling at marine container terminals. Computers and Operations Research, 41:412-422.
Kolomvos G., Saharidis G.K.D, Golias M.M. Improvements in Exact Solution Method for Traveling Salesman Problem. Annual Meeting of the TRB, Washington, DC, 2014.
Sarder M., Mohammadian A., Golias M.M., Anderson M.D., Stewart R.D. Realigning Multimodal Freight Networks in Response to Panama Canal Expansion. Annual Meeting of the TRB, Washington, DC, 2014.
- Konur D., Golias M.M. (2013) Analysis of different approaches to cross-dock truck scheduling with truck arrival time uncertainty. Computers & Industrial Engineering, 65(4), 663-672.
- Chen* G., Govindan K., Golias M.M. (2013) Reducing truck emissions at container terminals in a low carbon economy: Proposal of a queueing-based bi-objective model for optimizing truck arrival pattern. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, 55:3-22.
- Konur D., Golias M.M., Darks B. (2013) A mathematical modeling approach to resource allocation for railroad-highway crossing safety upgrades. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 51:192-1.
- Golias M.M., Saharidis G.K.D, Ivey S., Haralambides H.E. (2013) Advances in truck scheduling at a cross-dock facility. International Journal of Information Systems and Supply Chain Management. 6(3).
- Konur D., Golias M.M. (2013) Cost-stable truck scheduling at a cross-dock facility with unknown truck arrivals: A meta-heuristic approach. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, 49(1).
- Karafa* J., Golias M.M., Ivey S., Saharidis G.K.D., Leonardos N. (2013) The berth allocation problem with stochastic vessel handling times. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2012, DOI: 10.1007/s00170-012-4186-0.
- Golias M.M., Saharidis G.K.D., Boilé M., Theofanis S. (2012) Scheduling of inbound trucks at a cross-docking facility: Bi-objective vs bi-level modeling approaches. International Journal of Information Systems and Supply Chain Management. 5(1):20-37.
Karafa* J., Golias M.M., Ivey S., Saharidis G.K.D., Leonardos* N. Berth scheduling at dedicated marine container terminals: The limited berth capacity case. Annual Meeting of the TRB, Washington, DC, 2011.
Golias M.M. A simulation based approach to optimize berth throughput under uncertainty at marine container terminals. MODSIM World Conference & Expo, Hampton, Virginia, USA, 2010.
- Saharidis G.K.D., Golias M.M., Boilé M., Theofanis S., Ierapetritou M. (2010) The berth scheduling problem with customer differentiation: A new methodological approach based on hierarchical optimization. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 46(1-4): 377-393.
- Golias M.M., Boilé M., Theofanis S. (2010) A lamda-optimization based heuristic for the discrete berth scheduling problem. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies 18(5):794-806.
- Golias M.M. (2011) A bi-objective berth allocation formulation to account for vessel handling time uncertainty. Journal of Maritime Economics and Logistics. 13:419-441.
- Golias M.M., Haralambides H.E. Berth scheduling with variable cost functions. (2011) Journal of Maritime Economics and Logistics. 13:174-189.
- Golias M.M., Boilé M., Theofanis S., Efstathiou* C. (2010) The berth scheduling problem: Maximizing berth productivity and minimizing fuel consumption and emissions production. Transportation Research Record, 2166:20-27.
- Takhtfiroozeh H., Ph.D., Expected graduation 2020, Topic: TBD
- Pujats K., Ph.D., Expected graduation 2019, Topic: Application of Game Theory in Maritime Transportation
- Naimi A., Ph.D. 2016, Topic: Robust urban transportation network design
- Dulebents M., Ph.D., 2015, Topic: Improving operations in marine transportation
- Pujats K., M.Sc., 2016, Topic: Development of freight performance measures using truck GPS data
- Flaskou M., M.Sc., 2016, Topic: Analysis of freight corridors using GPS data
- Deligiannis N., M.Sc., 2015, Topic: Reliability of physical networks
- Boidapu V., M.Sc., 2014, Topic: Rail intermodal container terminal operations
- Dulebentz M., M.Sc., 2012, Topic: Highway-rail grade crossing safety
- Johnson Z., M.Sc. 2012, Topic: Intermodal freight network performance measures
- Karafa J., M.Sc. 2011, Topic: Gate strategies at intermodal marine container terminals