In the News
- Lisa Lucks Mendel participated in an Instagram Live Discussion on Ear Pain with Dr. Caleb Masterson of the ENT Center of Northwest Alabama
- Jennifer Taylor is serving as the President for the Council of Academic Programs in Communication Sciences and Disorders (July 2022-June 2023).
- Mendel, L.L., Pousson, M.P., Shukla, B., Sander, K., & Larson, B. (In Press). Listening Effort and Speech Perception Performance using Different Facemasks. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research.
- Mendel, L.L., Pousson, M.P., Jones, S., & Bass, J.K. (In Press). Validation of Male Talker Recordings of the Spanish Pediatric Speech Recognition Threshold (SPSRT) Test and the Spanish Pediatric Picture Identification Test (SPPIT). American Journal of Audiology.
- Feenaughty, L. (In Press). Linguistic performance during monologues and correlates of neuropsychological function for adults with multiple sclerosis. Aphasiology. DOI 10.1080/02687038.2022.2099527
- Huber, R., & Johnson, J. (In Press). Exploring the relationships between sound acceptability, emotional reactivity, and personality. Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups.
- Sarangi, L., & Johnson, J. (In Press). “It depends on the situation”: How hearing-specific contexts affect the way adults with hearing loss report their personal attributes. American Journal of Audiology.
- Coco, L., Strom, K., Cavitt, K., Eberts, S., Johnson, J. (In Press). Viewpoints on the implications of OTC hearing aids. Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups.
- Sarangi, L. & Johnson, J. (Published ahead of print). An exploration of associations between hearing aid self-efficacy and other measurable characteristics of adults with hearing impairments. International Journal of Audiology. DOI 10.1080/14992027.2022.2042607
- Eugene Buder was awarded a 2022-23 Faculty Research Grant from the School to support his project “Syllable Rhythms and Conversational Exchanges.”
- Sarah Warren was awarded a 2022-23 Faculty Research Grant from the School to support his project “The Memphis SOUND Project: Community-Based Approach to Understand Cochlear Implant Utilization.”
- Kim Oller is the sponsor for an NIH study led by Dr. Tanjala Gipson at UTHSC that will examine early communication in children with Tuberous Sclerosis Complex (TSC). TSC is a neurocutaneous disorder that is linked to autism. A portion of Dr. Gipson’s research is taking place in the Origin of Language Lab.
Honors & Awards
- Lipika Sarangi, a CSD post-doctoral fellow, received the Audiology / Hearing Science Research Travel Award (ARTA) to attend the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Annual Convention, New Orleans LA in 2022.
- Lipika Sarangi, a CSD post-doctoral fellow, received the prestigious Sig Soli Scholarship to present research at the International Hearing Aid Research Conference (IHCON) in Tahoe City, CA in August 2022.
- Jordan Alyse Coffelt was awarded an American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Award for Continuing Education (ACE) in May 2022
- Naomi Eichorn is presenting an overview of stuttering and her research related to attention and stuttering in “On One Foot: Jewish Faculty Lecture Series” (Sep 9, 2022)
- Jani Johnson was invited to present the results of a recently completed project titled Impact of amplification on intra-individual emotion processing at the International Hearing Aid Research Conference (IHCON) in Tahoe City, CA in August. She is also presenting these results to the Oticon/Eriksholm International Research Team in Denmark in September 2022.
- Lipika Sarangi, a CSD post-doctoral fellow, presented results from a study on the Effects of modifiable patient traits on the relationship between hearing handicap and readiness to pursue hearing help that she completed in her PhD program under the direction of Dr. Jani Johnson.
ASHA Conference Presentations
- *Crenshaw, K. & Feenaughty, L. (accepted). Cognition and language in Alzheimer's disease. Thesis research to be presented at the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Convention. New Orleans, Louisiana. November 20
- Eichorn, N., Marton, K., & *Hall, J. (accepted). Working memory in adults who do and do not stutter: Performance patterns and predictive relationships. American Speech-Language Hearing Association Annual Convention, New Orleans LA.
- Eichorn, N., Zarn, M., & Bruen, T. (accepted). Impact of IPE and varied effects by profession: Insights from a collaborative course. American Speech-Language Hearing Association Annual Convention, New Orleans LA.
- Eichorn, N., *Pritchard, L.E., & *Zerit, K. (accepted). Behavioral and emotional characteristics of school-aged children with and without stuttering disorders. American Speech-Language Hearing Association Annual Convention, New Orleans LA.
- Sarangi, L. & Johnson, J. (accepted). Real-world benefits of wearing hearing aids on intra-individual emotion processing in adults with hearing loss. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Annual Convention, New Orleans LA.
- Johnson, J., Creed, L., & Reed, M. (invited). OTCs for the Audiologist’s Toolbox (2-Hour Master Class). American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Annual Convention, New Orleans LA.
- Lopez, L., & Warren, S. (accepted) The CDC Said WHAT?! The Importance of Adopting Public Health Perspectives in CSD. Presentation at the 2022 American Speech, Language, and Hearing National Convention, New Orleans, LA.