As an F-1 student, you may be eligible for on-campus and off-campus employment. For off-campus employment during studies, students can read more about Curricular Practical Training, and for students planning to enroll in their final semester, consider becoming familiar with rules for Post-Completion Practical Training.

Practical Training is an extension of an F-1 student's education in the United States and is intended to give the student an opportunity to engage in paid training in his or her major field of study. Please be advised that an individual who holds a non-immigrant F-1 visa and is in possession of a form I-20 authorized for Curricular Practical Training is allowed to accept employment during the dates indicated on page 3 of their form I-20. This authorization is granted by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Citizenship and Immigration Services (formerly known as the INS) through the International Students Office of the University where the student is currently enrolled.

Practical Training authorization is outlined in U.S. Federal Regulation 8 CFR Sec. 214.2 9 (f) (10) (ii) (B). Practical Training can be taken in segments; each segment authorized by the International Student Advisor, pending documentation of academic relevance. Other limitations from the student's professor may apply.