Those who become members of the Friends of the University Libraries are a vital part of the Friends' mission of support of the University Libraries. The support of the Friends contributes significantly to meeting the educational and scholarly goals of the University of Memphis through the purchase of books and other library material and the sponsorship of public programs offered by the library.
Many join the Friends of the University Libraries because they enjoy:
- Helping the University of Memphis have a library apropos of a great university.
- Having more frequent access to the special collections of an academic library.
- Supporting the scholarship of all who use the University Libraries, especially students.
- Meeting and working with persons with similar educational and intellectual interests.
- Having the right to vote at Friends meetings and otherwise participate in the Friends' organizational life.
- Supporting University Libraries events.
- Attending programming featuring interesting presenters from the University faculty and Memphis community.
- Receiving the Friends newsletter, which keeps them apprised of events in the Libraries.
- Helping with fund-raising and development activity of the University Libraries.
- Having the satisfaction of knowing that they provide essential support to the educational mission and programs of the University Libraries