Associate Professor, Coordinator of Applied Linguistics
B.A. 1998, Brigham Young University
M.A. 2000, Brigham Young University
Ph.D. 2004, Georgetown University
Rebecca Adams is an applied linguist with interests in classroom second language learning. Rebecca's work focuses on the role of peer communication in classroom settings in providing opportunities for learners to collaboratively construct second language knowledge as they work together in meaningful, authentic language tasks. Her publications have focused on topics including the second language task complexity in peer interactions, the role of feedback in peer interactions and learning, and collaborative peer writing and second language noticing and focus on form.
Adams, R. & Oliver, R. (2023). Learning a Language with Peers: Elevating Classroom Voices. Routledge: New York.
Philp, J., Adams, R., & Iwashita, N. (2013). Peer Interaction and Second Language Learning. Routledge: New York, New York.
Adams, R. & Oliver, R. (2019). Teaching through Peer Interaction. Routledge: New York.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Adams, R., Nik Mohd Alwi, N., & Newton, J. (2016). "Task complexity in second language computer-mediated communication," Journal of Second Language Writing.
- Bowles, M., Adams, R., & Toth, P. (2014). "A comparison of learner-learner and learner-heritage learner interactions in Spanish language classrooms," Modern Language Journal.
- Nik Mohd Alwi, N., Adams, R., & Newton, J. (2012). "Writing to learn via text-SCMC:
Task implementation and focus on form," Journal of Second Language Writing, 21, 23-39.
(Shortlisted for JSLW article of the year, 2012)
- Adams, R., Nuevo, A.M., & Egi, T. (2011). "Corrective feedback, learner responses, and SLA: Does feedback promote learning in NNS-NNS interactions?" Modern Language Journal, 95 (S1), 42-63.
- Mackey, A., Adams, R., Stafford, C. & Winke, P. (2010). "Exploring the relationship between modified output and working memory capacity," Language Learning, 60, 501-533.
- File, K.A. & Adams, R. (2010). "Vocabulary instruction and reading: Isolated or integrated?" TESOL Quarterly, 44, 222-49.
- Adams, R. & Newton, J. (2009). "TBLT in Asia: Constraints and opportunities," Asian Journal of English Language Teaching, 2009 Special issue on Task Based Language Teaching in Asia, 19, 1-17.
- Adams, R. (2006). "L2 Tasks and orientation to form: A role for modality?" ITL: International Review of Applied Linguistics, 152, 7-34.
- Adams, R. (2003). "L2 output, reformulation, and noticing: Implications for IL development, " Language Teaching Research, 7, 347-376.
- Bowles, M. & Adams, R. (2015). "An interactionist approach to learner-learner interaction in second and foreign language classrooms," In N. Markee (Ed.) Handbook on Classroom Discourse and Interaction. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley Press.
- Adams, R., Amani, S., Newton, J., & Nik, N. (2014). "Planning and production in CMC writing," In H. Byrnes & R. Machón (Eds.) Task-based L2 Language Learning: Insights from and for L2 Writing, pp. 147-61. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Adams, R. & Nik, N. (2014). "Prior knowledge and second language task production in text chat," In L. Ortega & M. Gonzalez-Lloret (Eds.) Technology and Tasks: Exploring Technology-mediated TBLT, pp. 51-78. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Egi, T., Adams, R., & Nuevo, A.M. (2013). "Is metalinguistic stimulated recall reactive in second language learning?" In J.M. Bergsleithner, S.Nagem Frota, & J.K. Yoshioka (Eds.) Noticing and Second Language Acquisition: Studies in Honor of Richard Schmidt, pp. 81-102. Honolulu, HI: National Foreign Language Research Center.
- Nuevo, A.M., Adams, R., & Ross-Feldman, L. (2011). "Task complexity, modified output, and learning in learner-learner interactions," In P. Robinson (Ed.) Second Language Task Complexity: Researching the Cognition Hypothesis of Language Learning and Performance, pp. 175-202. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Adams, R. & Ross-Feldman, L. (2008). "Does writing influence learner attention to form?" In D. Belcher & A. Hirvela (Eds.) The oral/literate connection: Perspectives on L2 speaking/writing connections, pp. 243-67. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press.
- Adams, R. (2007). "Do second language learners benefit from interacting with each other?" In A. Mackey (Ed.) Conversational interaction in second language acquisition: A series of empirical studies, pp. 29-52. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Oliver, R. & Adams, R. (2021). Oral corrective feedback. In H. Nassaji & E. Kartchava (Eds), The Cambridge Handbook of Corrective Feedback in Language Learning and Teaching, pp. 187-206. Cambridge: CUP.
- Adams, R. & Ross-Feldman, L. (2021). Gender effects. In H. Nassaji & E. Kartchava (Eds), The Cambridge Handbook of Corrective Feedback in Language Learning and Teaching, pp. 668-688. Cambridge: CUP