Welcome to the Tax Office!

This office is responsible for the University's tax compliance. 

Secure Data Upload

Are you a UofM employee or student needing to send the Tax Office a document that contains sensitive data? Use this link to transmit that document securely.

Departmental Information

Mailing Address:
276 Administration Building
Memphis, TN 38152

Office Hours:
Monday thru Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Phone: 901.678.2779  |  E-mail: taxaccounting@memphis.edu 

Frequently Asked Questions

What should I send to the Tax General Accounting mailbox?

  • Requests for Sales and Use Certificates
  • Requests for the University W-9
  • Inquiries for 1042-S copies
  • Inquiries into the International tax compliance
  • Questions on completing International paperwork for employment
  • International Student/Employee change of address
  • International Student/Employee change of status
  • Making appointments for updating current treaty benefits

Whom should I contact about Sales and Use Certificates?

Send inquiries to taxaccounting@memphis.edu or call 901.678.2279.

Whom should I contact about getting a University of Memphis W-9 forms?

Send inquiries to taxaccounting@memphis.edu or call 901.678.2279.

Where do I get a copy of my 1042-S?

Send inquiries to taxaccounting@memphis.edu or call 901.678.2279.

Where is your office located?

276 Administration Building - 2nd floor.

Do I have to have an appointment for my tax set up or review?

Yes, an appointment is preferred because we are trying to maintain a small number of students in the office to avoid wait times.  Send appointment requests to taxaccounting@memphis.edu or call 901.678.2279.

What should I bring to my International Tax appointment?

Please bring along the most up-to-date documents below that apply to you: 

  • Social Security Card or Taxpayer Identification Number
  • I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student
  • Visa & Passport, H1B, EAD or any Visa applicable
  • History of U.S. entry & exit dates and primary purpose. The list is on the 1-94 website under the Recent Travel times. Please add the visa type next to each entry.
  • DS2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange

What are international student taxappointments for?

  • To determine your status for tax purposes.
  • Whether you are an NRA or RA. Completing Substantial Presence Test. This will be completed at your tax setup/review
  • Treaty eligibility-Form 8233
  • Processing of W-4 for International Employees & Faculty

Do international students file taxes?

Yes, all international students are REQUIRED to file a return with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) each year they are in the United States.  Federal and state tax returns are required for those who earn income and the non-employed federal form is required for those who did not earn income.

What if I didn’t make any money? Do I still have to file?

Yes. If you are a Nonresident Alien in F or J status (including family members), you still must submit Form 8843, each year even if no income was earned.