Prepare For Advising
Prepare to meet your advisor by following these simple steps:
1. Research majors if you are not sure of yours. The following resources can help:
- List of Majors and Minors
- Interests and related majors
- How to choose a major
- Focus2, a series of online assessments and virtual career center
- Career Counseling
- Career Services
2. If you know your major, Examine the degree plan for your chosen major using:
- The Undergraduate Catalog
- UMDegree on your MyMemphis
- which courses sound interesting?
- which, if any, do you need more information about?
- how many of the courses do you already have completed?
- General Education classes
3. Review the courses you have already taken.
- which courses did you enjoy?
- in which courses did you earn the best grades?
- are there any courses you need to take over?
4. Think about the courses you would like to take for the upcoming semester(s).
- what do you want to take?
- do you have the prerequisites completed?
- is the course being offered in the upcoming semester?
5. Prepare a list of possible courses based on your research.
6. Create a list of questions for your advisor.