Employers rate relevant work experience as the most important criteria during the job selection process.
Internships are typically one-time work or service experiences related to your major or career goal. Internships can be paid or unpaid, optional or a degree requirement. You may opt to receive academic credit for the internship.***You MUST register for an internship course PRIOR to your internship to receive credit.*** The University of Memphis Academic Internship Program has been nationally recognized as a Top 10 program by U.S. News and World Report.
Successful Internships provide:
- Opportunity to apply classroom theory to real-world work experience
- Specific project/responsibilities and opportunities to learn about an organization's operations
- Supervisory support to the student in the pursuit of learning goals
- Fast track access to talent pipeline
- More than 56 percent of graduating seniors reported taking part in at least one internship. Of those, 56 percent were paid, while 44 percent were unpaid.
- More than 52 percent of paid interns at for-profits received a job offer.
Source: Executive Summary, The Class of 2016 Student Survey Report