Student Career Fair Information
Fall 2022 All-Majors Career Fair: October 14th
- Prepare for the Career Fair
- What to Wear to the Career Fair
- Tips for Career Fair Success
- Volunteer for the Career Fair
Students are encouraged to attend both the In-Person and Virtual components of the career fair.
- Visit the In-Person Career Fair Page to register and for more informtion
- Visit the Virtual Career Fair Page to register and for more information.
- A professional resume is important to career fair success. A well-developed resume
will show recruiters you are serious about your career and internship search. Get
just-in-time resume and other career fair prep tips during drop-in hours!
- Research, research, research!
- You likely won't get to visit all the employers at the event. Develop a plan by viewing the list of registered employers first, then prioritize your top 5-10 employers. If you have time remaining, visit other employers. Set a stretch goal to meet new employers. You never know where opportunity exists. Spend some time researching the company and most recent news about their industry.
- List of In-Person Employers
- List of Virtual Employers
- Make a GREAT first impression!
- Dress the part and wear business professional attire. It will set you apart.
- Practice your handshake and 30 sec. intro to use upon approaching recruiters at the fair.
- Hi, I'm Tom Tiger , a junior Computer Science student interested in applying my Java programming skills in the packaging industry. Last summer, I interned with a mid-size company working with the CTO on a major software update of their vendor database. I would love to be considered for full-time opportunities at your company. Please tell me more about your recruiting process.
- Have your UofM Student ID out and ready for easy check-in.
- Grab a map of employers and locate the organizations you researched earlier.
- Keep your resumes neat and clean in a professional portfolio.
- Check your coat and backpack/bag at the designated location.
- Turn off your phone and do not use it while meeting recruiters.
- Open the conversation with your elevator pitch and a firm handshake.
- Offer your resume and request a business card for follow up.
- Ask recruiters about the online application process as some cannot accept hard copy resumes.
- Keep an open mind to companies not on your target list. You never know where opportunity may exist.
- Share your feedback with Career Services. Volunteers will ask you to complete an evaluation upon exiting the fair.
- After the fair, send follow up emails to recruiters you met. Thank them for attending and express your interest in the organization and positions. This is a great way to stand out!