Eligibility Verification for Entitlements Act

Tennessee law requires ALL NEW STUDENTS interested in enrolling at a college or university in Tennessee to provide proof of their legal presence before state benefits will be provided. To accommodate this law, the University of Memphis will accept this information soon after a student is granted admission. This law can be satisfied by submitting one of the following:

  • The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) - preferred;
  • A valid regular Tennessee driver's license or photo identification license. A temporary Tennessee driver's license or temporary identification license is NOT acceptable;
  • A valid, unexpired, Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) with picture;
  • A valid, unexpired US passport;
  • A certificate of citizenship (N560 or N561);
  • A certificate of naturalization (N550, N570, or N578);
  • A US citizen identification card (I-197, I-179);
  • A valid, unexpired Foreign Passport with visa stamped "Processed for I-551";
  • Non-Resident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card;
  • Permanent Resident Re-Entry Permit (I-327);
  • Refugee Travel Document (I-571);
  • A valid, unexpired Foreign Passport with valid visa in a category that permits study at an institution of higher education;
  • Any document determined by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to be acceptable through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) program.

EVEA can also be satisfied by submitting a valid, government issued picture ID including a regular driver's license, temporary driver's license, government issued DL/ID card from any US state, Employment Authorization Document (Form I-766) together with one of the following:

  • A valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) without a picture;
  • An official birth certificate issued by a US state, jurisdiction, or territory; except for Puerto Rican birth certificates issued before July 1, 2010;
  • A US government issued certified birth certificate;
  • A US certificate of birth abroad (DS-1350 or FS-545);
  • A reprint of a birth abroad of a citizen of the US (FS-240);
  • Arrival/Departure Record (Form 1-94);
  • Notice of Approval of Status with bottom I-94 portion attached (Form 1-797).

Failure to provide the information requested will limit the UofM's ability to award state and/or federal financial aid, and will impact how your tuition and fees will be assessed. This restriction does not impact privately funded scholarships.

Please submit your EVEA documents to graduateadmissions@memphis.edu

If you have questions about EVEA, feel free to email graduateadmissions@memphis.edu or call 901.678.3685.