Laptops with webcams are available to check out for a period of one semester. Below are the policies and procedures for semester-loan laptops as of August 15,2023.
- Semester-loan laptop will be available through online request form only, beginning one week before the first day of class for that semester.
- Five to ten days after the first day of class, the online request form link will be pulled from the library’s page and laptops will be checked out as available on a first come, first serve basis.
- Laptops must be returned by the due date which is generally two to five days after the last scheduled day of finals, depending on the calendar.
- To check out a semester-loan laptop, you MUST:
- Have a campus ID.
- Submit an online request form.
- Be enrolled in Fall courses to check out a semester-loan laptop during the Fall semester.
- Be enrolled in Spring courses to check out a semester-loan laptop during the Spring semester.
- Once you submit a request form:
- We will receive your request and you will be notified if a laptop is available within two (2) business days. After your confirmation email is sent, the laptop will be held for ONLY two (2) days before it will be made available for general circulation again.
- If a laptop is available, bring your UofM ID to the Checkout Desk (McWherter Library, first floor) and show your confirmation email to desk staff to pick up your laptop.
- You will be required to sign a waiver, which you can view beforehand here: Loaner Laptop Policy and Liability Statement (PDF).
- If you do not return your laptop by the due date, a late fee of $10 per day will be added to your account (after a 5-day grace period). If the laptop is returned more than 5 days late, you will be charged a late fee for all 6 days.
- Please log in to the laptop with your UUID and password BEFORE leaving the library.
- Students are not allowed to install programs and apps on the laptop.
- Please do not save your work on the laptop.
- Call (901) 678-8888 or email email@example.com if you have any problems with the laptop.
Additional Laptop Availability
- 4-hour and business day check out laptops are also available. 4-hour laptops can be checked out anytime during the day and returned within that 4-hour period. Business day laptops can be checked out anytime during the day and are due back 30 minutes before the library closes on the day it checked out. No laptops will be checked out during the last hour of the business day.