NROTC Preparatory Scholarship
The Preparatory Scholarship is designed to establish a path for high potential students to gain college experience and strengthen fundamental areas of study, such as math and English, prior to being put on the 4 Year NRTOC Scholarship. Students selected for the Preparatory Scholarship will receive one year's tuition from the University of Memphis, while participating in the NROTC program. If the student performs well during this year, they will automatically be granted the 4 Year NROTC Scholarship by the US Navy. During the preparatory year, students will wear the same uniforms as all NROTC Midshipmen and will participate in all the same events. Selected students will be required to attend New Student Orientation prior to starting the preparatory year at University of Memphis; see the link to the left for more information. This program is only offered to prospective Navy Option MIDN, so if you are interested in the Marines, please apply for the 4 Year NROTC Scholarship, or our College Program.
The following forms must be completed to be considered for the Preparatory Scholarship. We are now accepting applications for AY 22-23. All applications will be reviewed for eligibility by the Professor of Naval Science, and eligible applications will be forwarded to the University of Memphis for final selection. Instructions for filling out the forms can be found on page 1 of the NROTC Preparatory Scholarship Application.
- NROTC Preparatory Scholarship Application
- Drug Statement
- Report of Medical History
- Applicant Fitness Assessment Instructions
- Applicant Fitness Assessment Official Score Sheet
- NROTC Preparatory Scholarship Program Statement of Understanding
- Debarment and Suspension Executive Order
To be eligible for the Presidential NROTC Preparatory Scholarship, an applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Be a United States citizen or national;
- Have no moral obligations or personal convictions that will prevent bearing of arms and supporting and defending the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic or to taking an oath to perform such acts;
- Be at least 17 years of age on or before 1 September of the year of enrollment and less than 27 years of age on 31 December of the year an applicant expects to graduate, complete all NROTC training requirements, and be commissioned. Those with prior or current active duty in the Armed Forces may be granted age waivers equal to the number of months served. Those granted the maximum age waiver must not have reached their 30th birthday by 31 December of year graduation and commissioning are anticipated;
- Meet physical requirements;
- Have the intention of commissioning as an Officer in the US Navy (Marine Option MIDN are not eligible for this scholarship);
- Possess a high school diploma or equivalent certificate;
- Be accepted for admission as a full-time student at The University of Memphis.
- Once the preparatory year is complete, the student will automatically pick up a 4 Year NROTC Scholarship if the following conditions are met:
- Obtain medical clearance
- Pass the Navy's Physical Fitness Assessment (PFA)
- Achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.8 or higher
- Agree to the terms of the scholarship contract
- Receive the Professor of Naval Science's recommendations
- Receive the University of Memphis' endorsement.