Phi Kappa Phi Fellowships & Scholarships
Phi Kappa Phi awards nearly $1 million each year to outstanding students, Phi Kappa Phi members and chapters.
UofM Chapter - New Member Scholarships
The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi/UofM Chapter awards two (2) $600 Scholarships each spring semester - one to an undergraduate student and one to a graduate student. Scholarships will be awarded only to students planning to continue full-time study at the University of Memphis in the Fall 2022 Semester.
Application materials must include all of the following:
- Essay One
- Approximately 300 words, describing your academic, leadership, and extra-curricular activities (post-secondary school) as well as your career goals.
- Essay Two
- Approximately 500 words (not a numbered list) describing the five most important lessons you have learned during your college career.
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation
- Must be from University of Memphis faculty members or administrators. These letters of recommendation can be submitted directly to the Dr. Bond at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please Note: The Scholarship Committee will not review incomplete application packets.
Application materials must be submitted to the Phi Kappa Phi Scholarship Chairperson, Dr. Beverly Bond, at email@example.com.
Application Deadline: March 28, 2022
Scholarship awards will be available through the University of Memphis Scholarship Office in August 2021.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to submit a hard copy of my application?
No. Applicants may email materials to Dr. Beverly Bond at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can the letters of recommendation be sent directly to Dr. Bond or do the letters need
to be submitted along with my two essays?
Your recommenders can send their letters directly to Dr. Bond. However, it is your responsibility to make sure that these letters get to us by the deadline. The committee will not consider incomplete applications.
If I was initiated into Phi Kappa Phi as an undergraduate, can I apply for the graduate
Yes. However, please be sure that your membership is active.
Phi Kappa Phi Graduate Fellowship
Each year, the national office of Phi Kappa Phi awards 50 Fellowships of $8,500 each, six of $20,000 each, and two at $35,000 each to members entering their first year of graduate or professional study. The University of Memphis can nominate one student to compete nationally for one of these fellowships.
- Be an active member of Phi Kappa Phi (annual dues paid by April 15 of the current year) or have accepted membership by June 30 of the year in which you are applying. Applications will be accepted from individuals selected for membership but not yet initiated; see the application form for details.
- Have applied to enroll as a full-time student in a graduate or professional program of study for the upcoming academic year
- International students are eligible
- Students in all professional and graduate fields are eligible
- Applicants should not hold other graduate degrees; this should be their first graduate program
- Applicants who have successfully completed 10 or more graduate credits on or before April 15 are not eligible unless the graduate hours are earned in conjunction with the undergraduate degree (i.e., as a "combination senior").
Selection is based on the applicant's promise of success in graduate or professional study, as evidenced by:
- Academic achievement
- Transcripts, honors and awards, relevant research experience, standardized test scores, and samples of creative work
- Service and leadership experience, on and off campus
- Letters of recommendation
- Personal statement and career goals
- Work Sample
Provide a sample of your best academic writing (2,500 words). If in the Arts, a creative work sample may be provided
in lieu of a writing sample (no more than 5 pages or 5 minutes of audio/visual).
- Acceptance/Application at an approved graduate or professional program
The following completed application materials must be submitted to the Phi Kappa Phi Scholarship Chairperson, Dr. Beverly Bond, at email@example.com.
- Application form completed online at the national website. Print the completed form (it will contain a code or application number) and submit it, along with hard copies of ALL (including recommendations) materials to Dr. Beverly Bond. Leave your complete application in an envelope (please do not fold your materials) addressed to Dr. Bond in the History Department Office (Mitchell Hall 219) with Ms. Bradley, Ms. Jackett, or our receptionist.
Please proofread your materials, especially your essays, before you submit your application. The UofM will not submit an application that is poorly prepared or contains grammatical errors.
Campus Application Deadline: March 28, 2022
Study Abroad Grant
The national Phi Kappa Phi office awards one-hundred twenty-five $1,000 grants each year to undergraduate students who are studying abroad.
- Cumulative grade point average of 3.75. The national office does not “round up”—meaning a 3.74 GPA does not qualify.
- Study abroad program begins between May 1, 2022 and June 30, 2023
- Have applied and been accepted into an accredited study abroad program: Provide a letter of acceptance or a letter confirming your application, on official letterhead, as part of your application
Please note: You do not have to be a member of Phi Kappa Phi to apply for the study abroad grants.
Students should apply and submit the following materials directly to the national Phi Kappa Phi office through their online portal.
- Online application
- Official transcript(s)
- Two letters of recommendation
- If your letter writers prefer to remain confidential, there is an option in the application to send a notification asking your letter writer to upload a letter of recommendation on your behalf
- Acceptance letter into an accredited study abroad program
- If you have applied for your study abroad program but have not been accepted by the application deadline, you must upload a letter from your study abroad director/coordinator on official letterhead verifying the program and your submitted application. Study Abroad Grants will not be awarded without an official letter of acceptance from the accredited study abroad program.
Your application should be of the highest quality because you will be competing nationally for this scholarship grant.
Application Deadline: March 15, 2022