Welcome to the Department of Political Science at
The University of Memphis.
As an undergraduate, earning a Bachelor's Degree in Political Science can provide you with the intellectual tools necessary to understand various topics
within the political arena, preparing you for a career in business, government, law,
or a variety of other jobs that require an understanding of the political world.
For those already with an undergraduate degree, our M.A. program offers a more-advanced educational experience, providing students with the skills
to be either professional political scientists or to seek career paths that place
a premium on research skills.
Our website contains information about our programs, our faculty, our alumni, and some of the opportunities offered by a specialization in Political
Science. If you need more information, or want to schedule an appointment to meet
with someone about beginning studies in political science, please feel free to contact
us by e-mail or by phone at 901.678.2395.
Dr. Dursun Peksen's paper (co-authored with Byunghwan Son) “Economic Coercion and
Currency Crises in Target Countries,” has been accepted for publication in the Journal
of Peace Research. JPR is considered one of the major peer-reviewed journals in peace
and security research. It was recently ranked 5th (out of 82 International Relations
journals) and 6th (out of 156 Political Science journals) by Thomson Reuters (2014).
Several faculty members and students in the Political Science department have recently
received awards. We congratulate all of the following on their accomplishments.
- Dr. Sharon Stanley- Dunavant Professorship (The Dunavant Professorship recognizes exceptional achievement in teaching, scholarship,
service, and outreach.)
- Dr. Leah Windsor- Minerva Research Award (This grant, the Minerva Research Initiative, is sponsored by the U.S. Department
of Defense and focuses on areas of strategic importance to U.S. national security
- Dr. Eric Groenendyk- Hooks Institute Grant (For his research project on "Extremism
in Defense of Liberty: The Effect of Ideology and Prospect for Social Change in Contemporary
- Dr. Matthias Kaelberer- University of Memphis Honors Program Excellence in Undergraduate
- October 17- Dr. Eric Groenendyk, Brown Bag presentation
- October 31- Dr. Dursun Peksen, Brown Bag presentation
- November 6- Dr. Alan Karras (History – University of California, Berkeley), Brown Bag talk on
pirates and international politics
- November 14- Dr. Verena Ehrlenbusch (Philosophy - University of Memphis), Brown Bag presentation
- November 21- Dr. Nikki Detraz, Grad student professionalization workshop
Mayor AC Wharton with Dr. Matthias Kaelberer and Dr. Rob Blanton (April 2013)
Dr. Kaelberer and Dr. Detraz in the dome of the German Parliament as part of the 2014
London-Berlin Study Abroad Program (May 2014)