ATTENTION: Academic Coaching will be operating remotely until further notice. Academic coaching appointments are available Monday-Friday 8am-7pm. Please see the 'Contact Us' page for Dr. Pfeiffer's contact information if you want further information.
Quality Enhancement Plan
Academic Coaching for Excellence Has Been Chosen as the Quality Enhancement Plan at The University of Memphis!
Beginning of fall 2015, the extension of academic coaching will be the Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) for the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) accreditation.
The University of Memphis’ Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) is designed to improve students’ retention and success by implementing an academic coaching program for freshmen and sophomores who have been placed on Academic Warning and other student subpopulations who are at high risk for non-retention. The Academic Coaching for Excellence (ACE) program will pair at risk-students with an academic coach for individual bi-weekly meetings throughout a semester. Graduate students specializing in counseling-related fields and selected faculty and staff will receive professional development and mentoring to equip them with the tools necessary to guide students in the development of their academic and career goals.
The three interrelated goals of the ACE program are:
- to help students to develop a clear vision of their own goals and degree path,
- to assist students in developing skills related to academic success, such as study skills, time management, and self-efficacy; and
- to connect them to other university resources and support personnel as needed.
These goals are accomplished through the following six student learning outcomes in which students will:
- demonstrate an increase in academic self-efficacy;
- identify and describe appropriate campus resources for psychosocial and academic needs;
- demonstrate an ability to utilize technology tools for degree planning;
- identify a career goal and academic pathway to that goal;
- express a sense of connection and/or engagement to the institution; and
- demonstrate adequate progress to degree completion.
The QEP topic emerged from campus-wide discussions related to the institution's strategic plan as well as increasing student retention and success. Within this institutional context, the QEP Selection Committee carefully considered several proposed topics, and endorsed academic coaching as the QEP theme based upon the encouraging results of a pilot study that provided academic coaching to at-risk freshmen.