Career Readiness is a foundation of core competencies that broadly prepares students for lifelong career management and mobility.
University of Memphis Student Competencies (CLAW)
C - Communication and Collaboration
Definition: Exchange of information and the building of strategies to work towards common goals while valuing diverse perspectives.
- Demonstrate professional verbal, written, and non-verbal abilities when communicating
- Share information in a clear, organized, and concise manner with respect to diversity
- Listen carefully, ask questions and seek help when needed
- Manage different opinions appropriately
- Be accountable and reliable
- Be positive, adaptable and flexible
L - Life Skills and Life-Long Learning
Definition: Personal and professional development through continual learning.
- Navigate change and be open to learning new technologies and policies
- Seek education and training to support one’s growth and development
- Establish, maintain, and/or leverage relationships
- Seek opportunities to build leadership skills and confidence
- Respect yourself and others
- Act in the interest of the larger community and workplace
A - Abstract and Analytical Thinking
Definition: Objective and comprehensive analysis of all relevant information related to an issue prior to rendering a decision or judgment.
- Clearly define the problem
- Define necessary steps to comprehensively address the issue
- Collect appropriate data from a diverse set of sources
- Make decisions with consideration of possible personal biases
- Communicate outcomes rationally, recognizing diverse perspective of all involved
- Develop creative solutions to complex problems
W - Workplace Wellness
Definition: Understanding of the importance of physical, social and mental wellness in living a well-balanced work life.
- Develop coping mechanisms to manage stress
- Maintain respectful, social, and professional boundaries in interactions with colleagues
- Develop and cultivate healthy eating and sleeping habits
- Maintain a healthy work-life balance
- Identify and promote personal strengths
- Understand and demonstrate excellent work ethic and effective work habits
- Manage time efficiently and effectively
- Be present and prepared to engage in evolving needs
UofM and Career Services have numerous resources to assist students with academic, personal, professional and career development.
- NACE Career Readiness
- CliftonStrengths Themes
- NACE Hiring Outlook
- Salary Resources
- Job Negotiation Strategies
- Federal Government Human Resources Career Development Center