International Student COVID-19 Emergency Fund
The International Student Emergency Fund was established to provide urgent financial assistance to UofM international students who are under financial distress. The fund is prioritizing assistance to international students who have lost their primary income or have increased financial burden as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Award amounts will be determined by a committee made up of UofM faculty and staff. The committee will assess the needs and circumstances of each student on a case-by-case basis. The average award amount ranges from $100 to $300, with a maximum of $500 for extreme situations. All applications should include documentation of expenses.
Types of expenses covered include but are not limited to:
- Assistance with utilities
- Housing needs
- Temporary health insurance
- Culturally appropriate food and groceries
- Other COVID-19 related expenses
Non-emergency and non-essential expenses are not be eligible for consideration.
Student Eligibility and Requirements
- Applicants must be currently enrolled international students at the University of Memphis
- Students must be able to demonstrate financial hardship due to unforeseen expenses or loss of income directly related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- This application requires that students first seek out university support from the
office of the Dean of Students before applying and provide documentation of any other requests for financial assistance*.
- Students must be able to provide documentation such as receipts, bank statements, invoices, utility bills, and rental leases. Applications without supporting documentation will not be considered.
- Due to limited funds, priority will be given to students who are currently unemployed.
*Receiving financial support from other sources will not make students ineligible to receive the International Student Emergency Fund.
To apply please complete the following form:
Please have documentation of your expenses and other university support ready before you apply. Required documentation includes but is not limited to:
- Bills (e.g. utility bill)
- Rental leases
Supporting documentation must be relevant to the expense(s) that the student is requesting funding for.
NOTE: Documentation MUST include a bill or statement AND a receipt or bank statement with the applicant's name and date of the transaction. Any unrelated may be blocked out. Applicants who pay their rent or utilities through mobile or online transfer (Venmo, Zelle, Cashapp, etc.) may submit a screenshot of the transfer receipt with the date and the amount delivered. Applications who do not meet these specifications will not be considered.
This fund is intended to be temporary assistance for international students during the COVID-19 pandemic. It is not intended to cover tuition or any other ongoing and recurring financial needs that will continue to be an issue in the future.
If you have any questions about the fund or application process, please contact us at email@example.com
The number of students helped by this emergency fund is limited by the resources available. We welcome donations from faculty, staff, students, families, community members, and others who have the ability. To donate to the fund, visit the International Student Emergency Fund donation site.