International Students

PLEASE READ: Students currently receiving a graduate assistantship are NOT eligible to work as a regular student employee. Please inquire only if you are NOT currently receiving a graduate assistantship.

How many hours must I be enrolled in order to work on campus?

International students on F-1 visas must be enrolled at least full-time (12 credit hours-Undergraduate/Law, or 9 graduate credit hours-Graduate) for the Fall and Spring semesters. Concurrent enrollment at this university and a community college, college, and another university is not acceptable for enrollment requirements for employment eligibility at this university.

Do I need a Social Security Number in order to work?

International students on F-1 visas must obtain and use a valid federal Social Security Number (SSN) in order to be eligible for employment on-campus. To obtain a valid SSN, you must go to the Social Security Administration Office located at 1330 Monroe Avenue. You must bring your I-20 Form, passport, and proof of employment on-campus. The latter must be on letterhead, signed and dated by your potential employer.

Once you obtain a valid SSN, go the the Registrar's Office in Wilder Tower, Room 003, and request that your SSN be entered in Banner under your student profile. You will need to show them your social security card.

How many hours a week can I work?

According to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, if you are an international student on F-1 visa and enrolled at least full-time, you may engage in part-time on-campus employment during Fall and Spring semesters, but not to exceed 20 hours per week, which includes all pay sources. However, you may be employed on-campus full-time not to exceed 40 hours a week, which includes all pay sources, during school breaks (Winter breaks, Spring breaks, and Summer term). If you have questions regarding employment visa restrictions, contact International Student Services at (901) 678-5918.