FAQs for Students

If you'd like to have your resume reviewed by a Career Specialist, setup up an appointment in TigerLink (powered by Handshake) under the Career Center tab. Business students needing help with their resume can email professional@memphis.edu

If you have any questions not identified below please visit the Contact Us page.

All student jobs are posted on TigerLink (powered by Handshake). To apply for a job, students need to complete an application on TigerLink. U of M Student Employment positions can be filtered under the “Jobs” tab by clicking “On Campus Student Employment”.

The student should be in good academic standing. Individual departments may have GPA requirements.

Students must be enrolled and remain enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours for undergraduate/law students or 5 credit hours for graduate students) for fall and spring semesters.

International students need to review the requirements for on-campus jobs noted on the International Student Services webpage. 

No. Each application will be assessed at the sole discretion hiring manager.

If the student is going to be working in the same position as last semester, they do not need to fill out a new application unless asked for by the supervisor. 

A student worker may work up to 25 hours per week during the Fall and Spring Semesters, and up to 35 hours per week during spring, summer and winter breaks (no more than 37.5 hours). It is the student's responsibility to ensure that they don't exceed their maximum work hours. Also, it is up to the student and their department to ensure that the work schedule does not have interfere with their class schedule.

International students are only allowed to work 20 hours a week. Exception to this rule is during spring, summer and winter breaks when the student is allowed to work 25 hours a week.

  1. Signed Student Employment eContract
  2. Social Security Card
  3. Direct Deposit Authorization (scroll to the Payroll Section)
  4. W-4 Employee’s Withholding Allowance Form  (scroll to the Payroll Section)
  5. Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification- must be completed with the HR I-9 Coordinator. Please contact HR Service Center at 901-678-3573 or hrservicecenter@memphis.edu to schedule an appointment with the I-9 Compliance Coordinator.

New students who meet the enrollment criteria can begin work one week prior to the first day of classes for the semester they are admitted in. Continuing students may start work based on their Student Employment eContract service dates and as long as they meet the enrollment and other criteria, as necessary.

Enrolled students must be enrolled for at least half-time (which is 6 credit hours for undergraduate/law or 5 credit hours graduate) for the summer to be eligible to work in the summer.

Not enrolled students in the summer semester are eligible for summer employment if enrolled and maintain at least half time status (at this university) during the preceding spring semester and are enrolled again at least half time for the upcoming fall semester.

No. Graduating students are not able to work as student workers in the summer.

Yes. Resume’s and any other necessary documents (i.e. cover letter and course schedule) can be uploaded onto your Handshake profile. From there, you will be able to easily apply for all open positions using those documents.

Note: some positions may link to an external system which may require a more in-depth application process.

Yes. Students are allowed to have more than one job, as long as they don't work more than the maximum allowed hours. 

Students cannot be employed on a Federal Work Study (FWS) and a Regular Student Employment (RSE) at the same time.

FWS is a need-based Financial Aid award. It is a federally funded, university-administered program designed to help students with the costs of post-secondary education. Under this program, you can work for only one department at a time, up to 25 hours per week. The federal government pays 75% of your earnings and the department pays 25% of your earnings

Under this program, students can work for only one department at a time. A Federal Work Study award is made for one academic year only. Students cannot be employed on a Federal Work Study (FWS) and a Regular Student Employment (RSE) at the same time. For more information visit the Scholarship Student Employment website. 

The student must report their time worked using the appropriate reporting method used by their employing department.

The U of M student employee’s hourly wage is determined by their position, experience and knowledge. As of Spring 2022, the minimum wage for student employees is $9.00 per hour. The University plans to move to a $10.00 per hour minimum in Fall 2022.

Students are paid on a bi-weekly basis for hours worked. New student employee first paycheck can be picked up at the Payroll Office located in the Administration Building, Room 272. Proper photo identification is required. Subsequent payments will be via direct deposit to your bank account.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) excludes from Social Security and Medicare coverage services performed by students employed by a college or university provided the student is enrolled at least half-time and regularly attending classes. If you have additional questions, please contact the Payroll Office located in the Administration Building, Room 272 or call (901) 678-3841. International students are exempt from FICA and Medicare if they have an F-1 or J-1 visa, and are not allowed to claim exempt from Federal taxes.

International students are required to pay Federal taxes but are exempt from FICA and Medicare if they have an F-1 or J-1 visa. If you have any questions regarding employment visa restrictions, you should contact your employer or International Student Advisor located in Wilder Tower, Room 204, at (901) 678 2055.

Students enrolled in Summer classes, even just 1 hour, will receive a summer sticker. Also, any student who is on campus in the summer, working or any other reason, and NOT enrolled in classes and enrolled in Fall, can purchase for $25 a Summer sticker.