Know the warnings.
Thousands of individuals in the Memphis area experience gambling related harm. Over the past 20 years, we have developed the most widely researched treatment available to help individuals overcome their gambling problem. We would be happy to help you, too.
Do you think gambling is creating a problem for you? Try our free screening tool >
Problem Gambling Facts
- Gambling is when you bet money or something valuable on a chance outcome. Examples: slot machines, poker, lottery, sports, bingo and dice games. People gamble at a casino or racetrack, many gas stations or online.
- Gambling has become a $40 billion a year industry. Las Vegas alone brings in close to $10 billion a year.
- 85% of Americans say they have gambled. The majority bet without causing themselves problems.
- About 2% of the population, or 4 million living in the U.S., have a significant gambling problem.
- Problems are not caused by a specific type of gambling. There are not more or less addictive forms of gambling.
- Financial difficulties are the most common problem reported by those with gambling concerns.
- Those with problems due to their gambling are more likely to have mental health and substance abuse problems.
- Common substance abuse problems for those with gambling-related difficulties are alcohol, nicotine and prescription medicines.
- Depression and anxiety are common mental health issues found among those with gambling problems.
- At the same time, gambling problems can be changed with help.
- The Gambling Clinic was established in 1998 to help individuals experiencing problems due to their gambling.
For information on Title VI please click here.
This project is funded by the Tennessee Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services.