The mission of the Department of Instruction and Curriculum Leadership is to prepare our graduates with the content knowledge, skills and dispositions informed by teaching, research, and service, to become reflective practitioners and collaborative professional leaders within diverse settings focusing on urban education.
- Understand identities, cultures, and histories to engage communities, neighborhoods, and families.
- Promote an intentional and deliberate focus on social justice, equity and power.
- Approach teaching and learning as moral and political acts that are socially constructed and culturally mediated.
- Link theory and practice in all aspects of the preparation of educators.
- Prepare diverse educators to serve historically marginalized populations in urban and other high needs areas.