University Libraries, University of Memphis
Strategic Plan 2013-2018
Read as PDF
The University Libraries is a leader in managing and providing access to information services and resources that support teaching, learning, and research for the University of Memphis community.
The University Libraries will be the information and research destination of choice for the University of Memphis community, committed to developing lifelong learning and research skills in a welcoming, resource-rich, innovative, and stimulating environment, embracing collaborative opportunities and cultivating a technologically-enhanced, user-centered setting for the discovery, creation, organization, preservation, and communication of knowledge.
STATEMENT OF VALUES
Providing the varied services, resources, and programs of the University Libraries requires the involvement of many people. While each individual utilizes his or her own particular expertise and background and adopts his or her unique way to accomplish each task, the overall effort is guided by a common set of values that binds the whole together with a common purpose. As they go about meeting the Libraries' established objectives, University Libraries' faculty and staff are committed to the following values:
The University Libraries seeks excellence in providing assistance to all Libraries users while ensuring that access to information resources is provided in an open, receptive, and courteous manner, with a commitment to freedom of information and equity of access.
The University Libraries strives to deliver effective user services, resources, and programs, using the highest feasible standards of management, assessment, organization, and delivery. We are simultaneously committed to the development of a knowledgeable, versatile, and skilled faculty and staff.
The University Libraries affirms the principles of academic freedom and provides all services, programs, and operations with honesty, openness, and accountability.
The University Libraries values and appreciates the differences, among our users, our collections, and our faculty and staff. We endeavor to provide a climate of acceptance and respect for all points of view and for all individuals, whether members of the university community or the community-at-large, without regard to race, ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation, or physical abilities.
The University Libraries partners with the departments and colleges to provide resources and services to support the academic programs of the University. We join with other academic communities and libraries throughout Memphis, Tennessee, the Mid-South region, and the nation to enhance access to information resources beyond the University Campus.
The University Libraries identifies, investigates, evaluates, and implements new and emerging methods for obtaining appropriate resources and providing relevant services to meet known and/or anticipated user needs.
GOALS 2013 - 2018
To accomplish the overall mission of the University Libraries, resources and energy will be focused on achieving the following goals.
1. Build, preserve, and support collections that meet the needs of present and future users.
2. Develop, explore, and implement new information technologies and resources.
3. Develop and implement strategies that maximize the effectiveness of the integrated library system (ILS).
4. Develop, promote, and deliver instructional services and resources to meet changing user needs.
5. Invest in Libraries' personnel to enhance their abilities to provide library services and resources.
6. Collaborate with other units of the University, the urban community, the professional community, the region, or the nation to improve access to information resources.
7. Create and implement marketing and development plans that will enhance the visibility, enhance the image, and expand the resource base of the University Libraries.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES: Read as PDF