UofM Board of Trustees Approves Purchase of Property to Accommodate Middle and High Schools
September 4, 2019 - The University of Memphis Board of Trustees approved the purchase of property at Audubon Park Baptist Church and three adjacent residential parcels north of Park Avenue to accommodate the growth of University Middle School and allow for future expansion of a University high school at its meeting Wednesday.
University Middle launched in August with sixth-graders housed at East High School this year. The school will add seventh and eighth grades.
In other action, the Board:
• Approved a Land Transfer Agreement and Long-Term Land Lease with the Stella Group to develop a residential housing complex of 475 beds for students, faculty and staff on Deloach Street;
• Approved replacing the term “sex” with “gender” in the Housing Eligibility Rule;
• Approved the naming of the R. Brad Martin Student Wellness Center and Plaza;
• Approved the naming of the pedestrian cable bridge as the Hunter Harrison Memorial Bridge; and
• Approved the compensation term sheet and the development of a formal employment contract for President M. David Rudd.
The next Board of Trustees meeting will be Dec. 4 at UofM Lambuth.