Faculty Access to Student Records

As a University of Memphis faculty or administrative staff member, you may request access to student records, provided you have a legitimate need for these records that pertains to your University duties.

You must complete the FERPA Tutorial before you can be given access to the Banner Student Information System.

For information regarding the privacy of student records and your responsibilities, please read this University policy/procedure: Privacy of Education Records (Compliance with FERPA).


If your request for student records is granted, you assume full responsibility for protecting the confidential nature of the records transferred to you and for the use of the information.

You should destroy (we recommend you shred) any printed unofficial student records once you are through using them.

Never give unofficial copies to students. Instead, suggest that they print the information from Student Self Service or request an official transcript. UofM transcripts are free.

Never release a student's records to a third party unless both the student's written authorization and an approved procedure--developed with the assistance of the Registrar's Office for the student's particular requirements (e.g., packaging of application materials for Nursing Certification)--are on file in the Registrar's Office.

Available Records

Basically two categories of records are available:

Documents from Confidential Files
Contents may include transcripts from other institutions, transfer credit evaluations, entrance exam scores, college credit test scores, etc. Collectively, these records are referred to as the students' Confidential Files.

UofM Academic Records
Hard copies of these are available from 1912 through the Summer 1994 term. Electronic copies of UofM academic records are available from the Fall 1988 term forward.

Note: If you need academic records and have access to the online student information systems, then simply view/print the unofficial transcript. Faculty may also retrieve academic records through Faculty Self Service.

View the Inventory of Academic and Student Education Records.

Requesting Records

Fill out a Request for Academic Record/Confidential File form (pdf) and turn it in at the Transcripts desk, 003 Wilder Tower). Or go to 003 Wilder Tower and complete a request there.

Please remember the following when completing the form:

  1. Fill in all required information.

  2. Make sure that your "Purpose for Requesting Information" (required field on the form) is related to your official duties as a UofM faculty or administrative staff member.

  3. Sign the form. No request will be processed without your signature. By signing, you not only formally request the records but acknowledge your responsibility in protecting student privacy as well.

  4. FAX, mail, or deliver your form(s) to Transcripts, Wilder Tower 003, Memphis, TN 38152-3520, FAX: 901.678.3249.

If you have any questions or need clarification, you may call Transcripts at 901.678.3925.