Upward Bound at The University of Memphis is funded to serve up to 60 students. To be eligible for our Upward Bound program, a student must, at the time of admission:
- Be a student at Kirby, Melrose, or Sheffield High School.
- Be at least 13 years of age.
- Have completed the 8th grade but not yet the 12th grade.
- Be from a low-income family in which neither parent has graduated from a four-year college; OR a student with a need of academic support to pursue a program of post-secondary education.
- Be a United States citizen, a permanent resident, or legally in the country with intent to become a resident;
- Have the potential and desire for academic success in high school and post-secondary education
Students are selected based on recommendations from teachers and counselors, thoughtfulness of personal statements, and staff observations from interviews.
In addition to meeting the minimum qualifications for admission into the program, University of Memphis Upward Bound wants students who are committed to education and the benefits associated with receiving higher education. Students must be dedicated to striving towards academic excellence in order to maintain an active status in the program, and students must have positive attitudes and open minds ready to be enriched by all that the program offers.