Awards and Kudos
Several faculty members and students in the Political Science department have recently received awards. We congratulate all of the following on their accomplishments.
- Dr. Sharon Stanley- Dunavant Professorship (The Dunavant Professorship recognizes exceptional achievement in teaching, scholarship,
service, and outreach.)
- Dr. Leah Windsor- Minerva Research Award (This grant, the Minerva Research Initiative, is sponsored by the U.S. Department
of Defense and focuses on areas of strategic importance to U.S. national security
- Dr. Eric Groenendyk- Hooks Institute Grant (For his research project on "Extremism in Defense of Liberty: The Effect of Ideology
and Prospect for Social Change in Contemporary American Politics.")
- Dr. Matthias Kaelberer- University of Memphis Honors Program Excellence in Undergraduate Mentoring Award
- Dr. Nicole Detraz- Alumni Association Distinguished Teaching Award
Recent and forthcoming faculty publications:
- Stanley, Sharon (forthcoming 2015) "The Enduring Challenge of Racial Integration in the United States."
Du Bois Review.
- Peksen, Dursun (forthcoming 2015) "Media-driven Humanitarianism? News Media Coverage of Human Rights
Abuses and the Use of Economic Sanctions," International Studies Quarterly. (with Timothy M. Peterson and A. Cooper Drury)
- Kaelberer, Matthias (2014) "Sovereign Debt or Balance of Payments Crisis? Exploring the Structural Logic
of Adjustment in the Eurozone." Journal of Balkan and Near Eastern Studies.
- Groenendyk, Eric (2014) "Emotional Rescue: How Emotions Help Partisans Overcome Collective Action
Problems." Political Psychology. (with Antoine J. Banks)
- Detraz, Nicole (2014) Environmental Security and Gender. Routledge.
- Mego, Paul (2014) "The Evolution of an Interdisciplinary Team-Taught Course." Journal of Social Sciences Research. (with David Dietrich)
- Peksen, Dursun (2014) "The Impact of Human Rights INGO Shaming on Humanitarian Intervention." Journal of Politics. (with Amanda Murdie)
- Detraz, Nicole and Leah Windsor. (2014) "Evaluating Climate Migration: Population Movement, Insecurity and Gender."
International Feminist Journal of Politics.
- Groenendyk, Eric. (2013) Competing Motives in the Partisan Mind: How Loyalty and Responsiveness Shape Party
Identification and Democracy. Oxford University Press.
- Lomax, J. Harvey. (2013) Political Philosophy Cross-Examined: Perennial Challenges to the Philosophic Life. Palgrave Macmillan. (with Thomas L. Pangle).
- Stanley, Sharon. (2013) "Toward a Reconciliation of Integration and Racial Solidarity." Contemporary Political Theory.