NEH Summer Stipend
Limited Submission Process
Summary: National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) Summer Stipends provide $6,000 total for two consecutive months of full-time research and writing. Recipients must work full-time on their projects for these two months and may hold other research grants supporting the same project during this time. Summer Stipends normally support work carried out during the summer months, but arrangements can be made for other times of the year.
Summer Stipends support individuals pursuing advanced research that is of value to humanities scholars, general audiences, or both. Eligible projects usually result in articles, monographs, books, digital materials and publications, archaeological site reports, translations, editions, or other scholarly resources. Summer Stipends support projects at any stage of development, and are awarded to individual scholars.
Summer Stipends may not be used for
- projects that seek to promote a particular political, religious, or ideological point of view;
- projects that advocate a particular program of social action;
- specific policy studies;research for doctoral dissertations or theses by students enrolled in a degree program;
- the preparation or revision of textbooks;
- curriculum development;
- the development of teaching methods or theories;
- educational or technical impact assessments;
- empirical social science research, unless part of a larger humanities project;
- inventories of collections;works in the creative and performing arts (for example, painting, writing fiction or poetry, dance performance, etc.);
- the writing of autobiographies, memoirs, or works of creative nonfiction; or
- the writing of guide books, how-to books, and self-help books.
Selection Process: The University of Memphis may nominate two full-time faculty members for the NEH Summer Stipends. In order to select our two nominees, we have established the following process:
Letters of Intent (mandatory) due by via e-mail to OSP@memphis.edu by 5 p.m. April 21, 2017:
- Two sentence description of project
Pre-proposal is due via e-mail to OSP@memphis.edu by 5 p.m. May 31, 2017.
Candidates should submit a pre-proposal that follows a format similar to the NEH application with the following components:
- Narrative (maximum three-pages)
- Resume (maximum two-pages)
- Listing of reference letters (either confirmed or anticipated)
Please download the pre-proposal guidelines in the Forms and Instructions box in the top left corner of this page.
Nominees will be selected and notified by mid-June. Those selected will submit their full applications to NEH no later than September 27, 2017.Schedule
April 21, 2017 (5:00 pm) - Internal Application Process - Intent to Apply (mandatory) due to OSP@memphis.edu.
May 31, 2017 (5:00 pm) - Pre-proposals due to OSP@memphis.edu.
June 1-June10, 2017 - Proposals Reviewed.
June 16, 2017 - Two Nominees Selected.
June-September 2017 - Nominees Writing.
September 27, 2017 - NEH Summer Stipend Application Deadline.