Connecting through worship on campus.
- Baptist Collegiate Ministry *
- Campus Outreach
- Catholic Campus Ministry *
- Chi Alpha
- Morris Fogelman Jewish Student Center at Hillel of Memphis *
- Reformed University Fellowship
- SOMA (Church of Christ) *
- Wesley Foundation (United Methodist) *
- UKirk (Presbyterian Church USA) *
It's a spiritual thing. Religious Life is on campus to make sure that students have the opportunity to worship, pray, serve others, find fellowship, and express themselves spiritually. Each religious organization has a weekly worship experience (Catholic Campus Ministry celebrates Mass four times a week). Students often turn to campus ministers from these organizations for advice, mentorship and counsel concerning their everyday needs — things like dating, finances, parents, as well as the powerful tug of spiritual needs.
The campus ministers are available to lead seminars for residence halls and help the campus community as a whole as needs develop. Most of the religious organizations try to reach out to the campus community as well as the Memphis community at large by doing things like providing Thanksgiving meals for international students, refugees in the city, and the community at large and also by adopting a family at Christmas or tutoring at after school programs. Many organizations also offer opportunities for service work through summer missions and Alternative Spring Break Trips.
* There are twenty-one Registered Student Organizations classified as religious. Nine (listed above) have denomination-supported staff, while six maintain facilities or houses within a block of campus (*). These nine organizations are referred to as the Religious Life Staff at the University of Memphis.