FAQs about Behavioral Intervention

What do I do if I know a student who may need to be referred to the BIT process?

  • If you feel there is an immediate threat, call Police Services at 901.678.2187 or call 911.
  • To make a referral, contact the Office of the Dean of Students 901.678.2187 or send an e-mail to bit@memphis.edu). Please provide basic information about the student, a description of the incident or behaviors that prompted the referral and your contact information (in case the BIT has follow-up questions).
  • You are the Behavioral Intervention Team’s best resource because you are familiar with the student. If you are comfortable doing so, tell the student that you are concerned and ask if he/she is okay. In many cases students will indicate that they could use some help and you can refer them to the Counseling Center or other campus/community resources.

Who can make a BIT referral?

Any person who feels a student is a threat to themselves and/or the community can make a BIT referral (including students, parents, faculty and staff, and other community members).

Should I approach the student first?

Whenever possible, you should express your concern(s) directly with the student. However, should you have any concern about your safety or the safety of others, your best course of action for the safety of all involved is to contact the BIT or University Police Services.

What happens after I make the referral?

Upon receipt of the referral, the BIT will determine whether action by the team is appropriate. If deemed appropriate, the team will meet to create a plan to engage the student and assess the behavior in question. 

What happens to the student in the BIT process?

If the team determines the student is appropriate for the BIT process, he/she will be contacted and directed to meet with a member of the team who will explain the process and offer resources to the student. In certain situations the BIT may mandate an assessment at the Counseling Center or at a local agency if appropriate. 

How do I know if it is a BIT issue or if it is more appropriately handled by other campus resources?

You do not have to make this determination; the BIT will do it for you. The most critical step is that you report your concern. If another campus resource is more appropriate, the BIT will refer the student and handle the transfer of information.

Is the BIT process confidential?

Every effort is made to make the BIT process private. That being said, there may be times when it is not possible for the process to remain confidential. Please refrain from promising confidentiality to a student referred to the BIT.

Can I know the outcome of a student that I referred?

The BIT and its processes are FERPA (http://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html) protected similar to other student educational records. If the BIT determines that you have a legitimate educational need to know about the matter, you may have access to these records.

What if I'm not ready to make a report, but I just need some advice about handling a student issue?

You can always contact the Office of the Dean of Students for consultation on a concern. DOS staff can provide tips, ideas and resources on how to best approach a situation.

How will I know that the situation has been addressed?

BIT will address every report that is brought to the committee. BIT processes typically involve handling of confidential information, so those filing reports will not necessarily know the resolution of a situation. If you continue to have concerns about the situation, please contact the Office of the Dean of Students.

Can I submit information anonymously?

Anonymous entries will be addressed by the BIT. However, you are encouraged to identify yourself because this may assist the BIT if clarification or additional information is needed. Submitting your name also gives your report more credence. 

Who can I contact if I have a question about the BIT or a student of concern?

You may contact the Office of the Dean of Students or any of the other members of the BIT including the University Counseling Center, Office of Legal Counsel, University Police Services or the Office of Student Conduct.