CPSY Program Goals and Related Objectives and Competencies
Produce graduates who are grounded in the Scientist Practitioner training model
Objective #1 for Goal #1
Students will be knowledgeable of the foundational areas in psychology and counseling psychology.
- Competency 1a – Goal 1 Students can integrate and convey information in the core areas of Counseling Psychology
- Competency 1b – Goal 1 Students demonstrate knowledge in the core psychological science topic areas (e.g., developmental, biological, cognitive/affective, and social aspects of behavior, history of the discipline of psychology).
- Competency 1c – Goal 1: Students know how to administer and score a range of vocational, cognitive, and personality assessments, and write integrated reports based on those assessments
Objective #2 for Goal #1
Prepare students to be critical consumers of research and to conduct original scholarship.
- Competency 2a – Goal 1: Students demonstrate ability to critically evaluate scholarly products and identify flaws and strengths.
- Competency 2b – Goal 1: Students demonstrate the ability to design and complete empirical studies independently, with faculty mentors, or as members of a research team and present scholarship via professional presentations, publications, or presentations to lay audiences.
Objective #3 for Goal #1
Students are able to integrate current scientific knowledge and theory and clinical practice.
- Competency 3a – Goal 1: Students can integrate knowledge of individual, group, vocational, and family theories into their clinical work.
- Competency 3b – Goal 1: Students can demonstrate knowledge and developmentally appropriate skills in providing clinical supervision.
- Competency 3c – Goal 1: Students can locate scholarly literature relevant to their client populations and integrate it into clinical work
- Competency 3d – Goal 1: Students effectively deliver interventions with client populations
Objective #4 for Goal #1
Students are able to identify and respond to ethical and legal issues that may arise in their work as counseling psychologists.
- Competency 4a – Goal 1: Students can articulate relevant APA ethical guidelines when presented with vignettes on ethical issues.
- Competency 4b – Goal 1: Students can discuss the Tennessee legal code that governs the practice of psychology.
- Competency 4c – Goal 1: Students can identify and discuss professional and ethical issues that occur on clinical sites (including client and agency-related issues) where they are completing practica experiences
Objective #5 for Goal #1
Students demonstrate professional behavior in their various roles as counseling psychologists.
- Competency 5a – Goal 1: Maintain appropriate professional relations with faculty, departmental and clinical site staff, and student colleagues.
- Competency 5b – Goal 1: Students are responsive to corrective feedback.
- Competency 5c – Goal 1: Students manifest appropriate professional behavior as determined by clinical or work sites (timeliness, dress, compliance with regulations).
Produce graduates who identify as Counseling Psychologists
Objective #1 for Goal #2
Students will understand the history and professional issues related to Counseling Psychology.
- Competency 1a – Goal 2: Students demonstrate knowledge of the history and core values of Counseling Psychology and key professional issues facing the specialty of Counseling Psychology and the larger discipline.
Objective #2 for Goal #2
Students will develop a professional identity as a Counseling Psychologist and begin to be active participants in the profession of psychology.
- Competency 2a – Goal 2: Students are members in SAS/APAGS or other professional organizations.
- Competency 2b – Goal 2: Students demonstrate a commitment to continuous learning and growth as counseling psychologists through their work with Counseling Psychology faculty/supervisors in research and program activities.
- Competency 2c – Goal 2: Students will identify as Counseling Psychologists
Produce graduates who are responsive to individual and cultural diversity in a multicultural environment
Objective #1 for Goal #3
Students understand the contribution of cultural and individual diversity in clinical and scholarly work
- Competency 1a – Goal 3: Students understand their own cultural background and how it shapes their perspectives and behaviors.
- Competency 1b – Goal 3: Students can synthesize the literature regarding multiple identities (gender, race/ethnicity, orientation, social class, ability, religion) and apply it to their clients.
- Competency 1c – Goal 3: Students intervene effectively with diverse client populations in urban settings.