Department of Counseling, Educational Psychology & Research
Welcome to the Department of Counseling, Educational Psychology and Research (CEPR)! We hope you will find everything you need on this website, but if not, we are just a phone call away. Of course, we always welcome visitors to the department as well.
Have questions about CEPR programs, degrees or admission? We're here to help. Give us a call at 901.678.2841 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our objective is to prepare advanced professionals to be both sophisticated practitioners and researchers. The graduate degrees within the department will qualify students as counselors, psychologists, program evaluators, university and college professors, and researchers in educational and counseling environments. We also provide our students with the skills necessary to fill a variety of roles in other settings in which knowledge of human development, learning and cognition, research and evaluation methods are essential.
CEPR is currently home to approximately 95 doctoral students, and more than 155 master's students. The department offers the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Counselor Education and Supervision, Counseling Psychology, and Educational Psychology and Research, Master of Science degrees in Addiction Counseling, Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling, Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling, School Counseling, Vocational Rehabilitation Counseling, and Educational Psychology and Research. We also offer graduate certificates in College and Career Counseling, Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Disability Studies, Disability Support Services, School Counseling, Qualitative Research in Education, and Quantitative Methods, as well as an undergraduate minor in Educational Psychology and Research. Our doctoral program in Counselor Education and Supervision and our MS degrees in Clinical Mental Health, Clinical Rehabilitation, School, and Vocational Rehabilitation Counseling are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP); our doctoral program in Counseling Psychology is accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA). Our MS programs in Addiction Counseling and Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling are brand new and have not yet undergone the CACREP accreditation process. In addition to our academic programs, CEPR houses a clinical research center: The University of Memphis Institute on Disability (UMID). UMID also houses TigerLIFE (Tigers Learning Independence Fostering Education and Employment), the largest and most ethnically diverse program for intellectually/developmentally disabled adults in the state of Tennessee. The clinical programs in CEPR participate in the university-wide Interprofessional Community Health Clinic (ICHC), a clinical training and research center that provides a variety of health and wellness services to the UofM, Memphis, and neighboring communities. Learn more about our programs, faculty and staff, and services by following the various links on this page.
The Department of Counseling, Educational Psychology and Research is a multidisciplinary unit with programs in three divisions: Counseling, Counseling Psychology, and Educational Psychology and Research. We offer 1 undergraduate minor, 7 graduate certificates, 5 master's, and 3 doctoral degrees.
Graduate Certificate Programs
Educational Psychology and Research
Graduate Certificate Programs
Points of Pride
The Department of Counseling, Educational Psychology and Research is dedicated to making an impact. We are proud to share some of the achievements of our team.
Academic Program Rankings
Our programs are not only cutting edge and affordable, they are also nationally ranked!
- #4 - Most Affordable Online Master's in Educational Psychology, CollegeChoice.net
- #5 - Online Master's in Educational Psychology, Online-Psychology-Degrees.org
- #5 - Online Master's in Educational Psychology, TopEducationDegrees.org
- #8 - Online Master's in Educational Psychology, CollegeChoice.net
- #8 - Online Master's in Educational Psychology, Intelligent.com
- #9 - Online Master's in Educational Psychology, BestCollege.com
- #9 - Best Online Master's in Educational Psychology, OnlineMasters.com
- #9 - Most Affordable Online Master's in Educational Psychology, BestMastersDegrees.com
- #10 - Best Online Master's in Educational Psychology, BestCollegeReviews.org
- #10 - Most Affordable Online Master's in Educational Psychology, BestCollegesOnline.org
- #11 - Online Master's in Educational Psychology, TopCounselingSchools.org
- #14 - Best Online Master's in Educational Psychology, BestMastersinPsychology.com
- #20 - Rehabilitation Counseling Program, U.S. News and World Report
- Rosie Phillips-Davis, Past-President of the American Psychological Association
- Chrisann Schiro Geist, Board of Member and Immediate Past President of the National Rehabilitation Counseling Association
- Steven L. West, Board Member of the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants Health Foundation
- Steven L. West, Past-President of the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification Board of Directors
- Stephen Zanskas, Past-President of the American Rehabilitation Counseling Association