About the Department of Communication & Film
One of six departments in the College of Communication and Fine Arts, the Department of Communication & Film includes 19 full-time faculty members, about 50 graduate students (MA and PhD), and 300 undergraduate majors.
We offer the undergraduate Communication Studies concentration at the main campus and online, and the Film & Video Production concentration at the main campus.
Our graduate programs at the main campus include an MA in Film & Video Production, as well an MA and PhD in Communication, where students work with faculty within and across two groups: Rhetoric & Media Studies and Applied Communication.
To be the first choice for students who want to use communication to make positive changes in their lives, their communities, and the world.
The UofM Department of Communication & Film addresses issues affecting Memphis, the Mid-South, the U.S., and the world through nationally recognized communication research, teaching, and filmmaking.
To help students
- Recognize and articulate the current state of human affairs;
- Practice ethical communication personally and professionally;
- Respect the diversity of their fellow human beings;
- Effectively address societal needs across multiple platforms;
- Express themselves through both old and new media as they stake out a place for themselves in the public conversation.