Thank you for supporting the University of Memphis. Your gift changes the lives of
each of our students for the better. As the year comes to an end, and a new year with
new opportunitiesunfolds, there are several options for you to make a year-end investment.
Scroll down to select the option that is right for you.
Ways to Give
By CREDIT CARD:
- CLICK HERE to make a gift online.
- The date your credit card gift is effective for tax purposes is the date the card
is charged. Credit card gifts must be processed by midnight on December 31 to be eligible
for the current year charitable deduction. Therefore, we recommend that you use our
fast and secure online giving form for immediate processing.
- Mail your check made payable to the University of Memphis Foundation to:
University of Memphis Foundation
P.O. Box 1000
Memphis, TN 38148-0001
- Please indicate on your check the designation for your gift or print the giving form and mail it with your check.
- A gift made by check mailed via U.S. Postal Service with a postmark and check date
on or before Dec. 31 will be counted for the current year regardless of when it is
received by the University of Memphis.
By TRANSFERRRING APPRECIATED SECURITIES:
- If you have appreciated stock, you may be able to make a very tax-wise gift to the UofM Foundation. When you give appreciated stock, you may be able to take a deduction for its full value and avoid the capital gains taxes that would be incurred if you had sold it. Transferring stock to the UofM Foundation is simple. Please call 901.678.5274.
Gifts from RETIREMENT ASSETS:
IRAs can be a great tax-deferred savings vehicle, but they can also be a tax trap. Millions of Americans who have reached the "required minimum distribution" age of 70 ½ are forced to withdraw taxable income from their IRAs when they have no need or desire to do so, resulting in a higher tax bill (and perhaps even a higher income bracket). The Pension Protection Act was made permanent by Congress in 2015 and gives a smarter option to IRA owners who are charitably inclined and age 70 ½ or older. The IRA Charitable Rollover allows a tax-free transfer directly from certain IRAs to qualified charities (like the UofM Foundation) without income tax consequences. The requirements and restrictions are as follows:
- You must be at least 70 ½ years old at the time of the gift.
- Only traditional IRA accounts may be used.
- You may transfer up to $100,000 a year.
- Distributions must be made directly to the University of Memphis Foundation from the IRA by the IRA Administrator.
- You may not receive any goods or services in exchange for the IRA Charitable Rollover.
The end result of a qualified IRA Charitable Rollover is that the money distributed to the UofM Foundation will not count as income for you, but it will count toward your required minimum distribution.
Contact Wesley LaRue, Director of Planned Giving, at 901.678.3468 with any questions or to let us know that a transfer is on the way (sometimes IRA administrators don't give us all the needed information).