AT Lab Computer Based Software
Assistive software for student use is available for installation in other University of Memphis computer labs as needed. The ATL contains the following assistive items with site licenses for multiple users for all software:
Dragon Naturally Speaking
A voice recognition input system for persons with manual (hand/arm) impairments or written expression learning disabilities.
- Say it and it types it
- Up to 99% accurate; Gets smarter as you use it
- Short training time to get started
- Create documents at up to 160 words per minute, with read back capability
- Surf the web by voice
- Dictate into a recorder and play into a computer later
A visual organizing tool creating pictorial and graphic representations of ideas.
- Assists in organizing thoughts for written documents
- Displays ideas in easily understood format
- It is particularly helpful for people who have difficulty with traditional linear outlines and with planning and organizing papers.
A complete screen reader for persons with substantial visual impairments.
- Reads out loud, text and links on the computer screen
- Multiple user selected languages
- Many commands to operate other software, edit documents, and read Web pages
- Drives refreshable Braille displays
A computer screen reading system which converts text material displayed on the computer screen to voice output for persons who are blind. Kurzweil 1000 will also convert text files to audio files in WAV or MP3 formats.
A computer screen reading system which converts text material displayed on the computer screen to voice output for persons with reading disabilities. Text can be displayed in various colors and words being read can be highlighted as they are read aloud. Kurzweil 3000 will also convert text files to audio files in WAV or MP3 formats.
A screen magnifier/screen reader software program for visual impairments or reading disabilities.
- Magnifies the entire computer screen up to 36 times, in individual increments
- Reads the screen text aloud
- Useful for Web browsing, letter writing, blogging, chatting, and other social activities
A program for converting normally "inaccessible" PDF files.
- Converts to any one of 11 different accessible formats
- Works with any of 155 languages.
A text editing program for creating documents that contain text, mathematics, and graphics.
- All-inclusive Toolbars with symbols and notations
- Create 2-D and 3-D plots
- Logical Design
- Natural Math Notation
- Computer Algebra
- Solve equations within documents
- Prepare reports and homework
- Run external programs, such as a search engine, directly from Scientific Notebook
- RTF export to share work with others who do not have Scientific Notebook
Companion software program to Scientific Notebook.
- Available for free download
- Allows others to read files created in Scientific Notebook
- Uses Print read-only documents created with Scientific Notebook
Software which displays a scanned talking version of tests, worksheets and other documents.
- Presents the document both auditory and visual formats
- Allows insertion of answers to test questions. and other data
TextHelp Read/Write Gold
A comprehensive software program for students with composing, spelling, writing and grammar issues
- Reads on-screen text out loud, highlighting each word as it is read
- Extensive Dictionary and Thesaurus
- Word prediction and Spoken Pronunciation
- Talking Spell Checker and Dictionary with sample sentences
- Speak to write (Voice Recognition)
*Software Program Demos:
Kurzweil 3000 | Reading and Studying