Procedure for Late Drops and Withdrawals

University policies permit students either to drop courses or withdraw from the University after the last date specified in the University calendarfor that term. However, as stated in the Graduate Catalog, late drops or withdrawals may be approved "only when circumstances beyond the student's control make it impossible to complete the semester." Two examples of such circumstances would be: extended personal illness or job relocation, both of which are identified as legitimate grounds for action. Also, late and retroactive drops or withdrawals will be processed for students for which a clerical error has been made (e.g., wrong section number) and for students who change from a thesis to a non-thesis master's degree program (thesis courses 7996 or 7999). These cases must be verified by the departmental graduate coordinator. Late drops or withdrawals will not be approved in a situation in which a student might simply wish to avoid receiving an unsatisfactory grade.

Please see the following link for detailed instructions on how to request a late drop or withdrawal: Late and Retroactive Withdrawals Process >