Additional Verification of Employability

Effective January 1, 2012, the Tennessee General Assembly has passed a new law (SB 1669, HB 1378) requiring additional verification of employability.

Prior to the employee providing labor or services, any one of the original documents listed below must be requested and copied. The documents copied should be submitted to Human Resources (178 Administration Building) for maintenance. Copies for undergraduate Student Employees should be sent to the Student Employment Office of the Financial Aid Department.

  • A valid Tennessee driver license or photo identification license issued by the department of safety;
  • A valid driver license or photo identification license by another state where the issuance requirements are at least as strict as those in Tennessee, as determined by the department. The commissioner, in consultation with the department of safety, shall determine which states have issuance requirements that are at least as strict as Tennessee, and shall develop, and periodically update, a publicly accessible list of such states on the department's Web site;
  • An official birth certificate issued by a U.S. state, jurisdiction or territory;
  • A U.S. government-issued certified birth certificate;
  • A valid, unexpired U.S. Passport;
  • A U.S. certificate of birth abroad (DS-1350 or FS-545);
  • A report of birth abroad of a citizen of the U.S. (FS-240);
  • A certificate of citizenship;
  • A Certificate of naturalization (N550, N570 or N578);
  • A U.S. citizen identification card (I-197 or I-179); or
  • Valid alien registration documents or other proof of current immigration registration recognized by the United States department of homeland security that contains the individual's complete legal name and current alien admission number of alien file number (or numbers if the individual has more than one number).

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the HR Service Center at 901.678.3573 or hrdata@memphis.edu.