Many student-specific resources are administered in coordination with the Institute for Intelligent Systems Student Organization (IISSO).
The IIS maintains a subscription to the Linguistic Data Consortium (on-campus or VPN required for access).
Publicly available data sources of interest are below. Please help us keep this list clean by reporting bad links.
- Academic Torrents
- Amazon Public Datasets
- Awesome Public Datasets
- Common Crawl
- Energy Information Administration
- GeoDa Center
- Google Public Datasets
- Google Dataset Search
- Microsoft Research Open Data
- Million Song Dataset
- OpenAccess Data
- OpenScience Data Cloud
- Reddit Datasets
- UC Irvine Machine Learning
- Wikipedia API and data dumps
- World Bank Data
- Yahoo! Webscope
Additionally these methodology links may be of interest:
- Dealing with bad data
- Visual introduction to machine learning
- Data exploration with Kaggle scripts
- Graphing from R: ggplot2 vs. base graphics
- Data visualization
- Color picking for data displays
Multiple services are available to students to help them with speaking, presenting, and writing:
- Center for Writing and Communication (free, in the main library)
- Center for International Education services (non-free mini courses)
Not sure where to submit your publication? Try the Elsevier Journal Finder.
The IIS has a DreamSpark subscription. IIS Students, faculty, and staff may download Microsoft titles from our IIS web store.
University of Memphis employees/students can install Office on their computers from www.memphis.edu/getoffice .
Notably the University has a license for online surveys with Qualtrics.
Finally the IIS has a GitHub account for faculty and projects.
Publicly available software of interest are below. Please help us keep this list clean by reporting bad links.
- Notebook environments: Beaker and Jupyter
- Machine learning software: WEKA, scikit-learn, MALLET, and Stanford NLP
- Statistical software: R-Project and RStudio
- CSV editing and more: Comma Chameleon
- Mechanical Turk experiments: psiTurk
We maintain the following equipment. To book the equipment please contact Renee Cogar.
- 407 Teleconference System (Chromebox for Meetings)
- Eyetracking Lab (Tobii T60)
- Data projectors
- Office supplies
The IIS Library, provided by a generous gift from Art & Nancy Graesser, is in 430 of the FIT. The collection contains nearly 2,000 books and hundreds of journal issues. For physical access, please contact Renee Cogar.
To search for a specific book, use the following search tool:
You can find the LC Classification by selecting "Book Details" in the left side navigation bar. Our library is organized according to the Library of Congress system.
Books without a Library of Congress number are kept in a special section and organized alphabetically by author.
Additionally, we have enabled full text search on most of the collection. This means that you can find all books that a particular word or phrase occurs in. You may perform full text search IIS Library Holdings.
Finally, the main University of Memphis library has a number of titles of interest, some specially requested by us. These include: