Training and Employment Off-Campus


Curricular Practical Training (CPT)/Extension

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Curricular Practical Training is the U.S. Federal permission for F-1 students to take a class requiring off-campus practical experience and receive pay while enrolled in that class.

Eligibility Requirements

  • The student must provide proof that they have completed at least two semesters in F-1 status prior to the CPT application, or show proof that they are enrolled in a program of study with mandatory internship requirements for all students within the first two semesters of the program.
  • The student must show proof from their professor stating that he/she is supervising the internship class, the course number and the dates that the professor will monitor that class. Please see the form for Professors/Academic Coordinators.
  • The company letter should present an internship or practicum with a specific end date to match the end date of the professor's grading period. Letters offering regular employment or open-ended jobs are not acceptable.
  • The student must provide sufficient documentation regarding the full-time or part-time status of their CPT, and the number of hours of course credit enrollment for that semester.

Students are not legally allowed to work until they receive approval documents from the Center for International Education Services. Any amount of time spent working without approval is considered a violation of the United States Code of Federal Regulations and is a violation of F-1 visa status. [8CFR 214.2(f)(10)].

For further information, please see the CPT brochure on the International Portal link below. 

CPT Application

More information on CPT

Optional Practical Training (OPT)/Extension

Post-Completion Optional Practical Training in the United States Immigration & Citizenship Service (USCIS) work permit for F-1 individuals that have completed their coursework. If you are an F-1 visa-holding student, you are allowed to work 12 months with a full-time OPT and extensions are possible for students in limited categories.

More Information on OPT


OPT/CPT Workshops

The International Student Services office will present several OPT and CPT workshops for F-1 visa students covering the application process, eligibility to apply, types of employment, and what to expect after applying. Seating is limited at each workshop and punctual attendance at a session is mandatory before applying for authorization.

OPT/CPT Workshops