Enter the US with a University of Memphis I-20

To lessen any potential problems upon arrival in the United States, you are encouraged to follow the guidelines below:

  • Be certain to carry all three pages of the I-20 to the consular office and also carry them with you when crossing the U.S. border. Do not put cash, bank demand drafts, scholarship or sponsorship letters, the I-20, or your passport in your checked luggage – instead, keep these vitally important items well secured on your person.
  • Make sure that the school name listed on your F-1 visa page matches the school name on your I-20. If they do not match, see section II below.
  • Present both I-20 and the passport when entering the U.S. Note that the officer at the Port of Entry has complete discretion when deciding to let people cross the border into the U.S., and can also refuse to allow entry to the U.S. If there are questions regarding a new student's paperwork, the Homeland Security Officer at the border can also issue a form I-515 temporary entry permit. Please let our office know immediately if you receive this kind of document.
  • Come to campus and report to our office in a timely manner. The staff here will need to make photocopies of your passport, new border crossing stamp, visa page, and so on. We will also be collecting data from you regarding your planned address for the school year, so please plan accordingly.
  • Students are welcome to consider Residence Life on-campus housing.
  • Consider your insurance options prior to arriving. In the U.S., health insurance is not automatically provided but is instead a purchase to make from your choice of companies. See Insurance Information for F-1 Visa Holders Independent Insurance Options.