PhD Program in Management
Coordinator: Dr. Kurt Kraiger
The doctoral program in management is a full-time, four-year, research-oriented program. Intensive research seminars are offered in human resource management, organizational behavior, organization theory, strategic management, research methods, and statistics. The goal of our program is to train students to publish cutting-edge, theory-driven research in premier scholarly journals so that they can obtain research-oriented academic positions at well-regarded universities and colleges. Examples of student placements include Akron, Alabama, Alaska, Brock, Fresno State, Illinois State, Kansas State, Marshall, Mississippi State, New Mexico, North Texas, Ohio, Ole Miss, Oregon State, Rutgers-Camden, South Dakota State, UNC-Charlotte, and UT-Arlington.
For admission into our program, and to be considered for a graduate assistantship, an applicant must provide evidence of a high likelihood of success in the program. With respect to recent applicants, this typically includes the following: (1) GMAT score of 600 or higher or equivalent for the verbal and quantitative score on the GRE; (2) GPA of at least 3.25 in undergraduate studies or in the highest degree attained; and (3) three letters of recommendation attesting to the strengths of the student and likelihood of success in a challenging research-intensive doctoral program. To obtain an application and more information about the requirements and process of applying to our program, please browse the following website (application deadline is February 1st for fall admission only; we do not accept part-time students.)
Department of Management
The Department of Management has close ties to the local business community, which is home to large corporations such as FedEx, AutoZone, and International Paper. Our department also has close ties to the FedEx Institute for Technology located next door to our business college.
The management faculty have research expertise in human resource management, organizational behavior, strategic management, entrepreneurship, and international management. We publish our research in premier scholarly journals such as Academy of Management Journal, Academy of Management Review, Academy of Management Perspectives, Strategic Management Journal, Management Science, Organization Science, Strategic Organization, Journal of Management, Journal of Applied Psychology, Journal of International Business Studies, Personnel Psychology, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Human Resource Management, Human Resource Management Review, Journal of Organizational Behavior, Organizational Research Methods, and others. Please contact the faculty members listed below to find out more information about their specific programs of research.
PhD Program Faculty
- Frances Fabian (Associate Professor; PhD 1997, Texas; email@example.com): strategic management, on-line communities, entrepreneurship
- Kristen P. Jones (Associate Professor; PhD 2013, George Mason; firstname.lastname@example.org): managing workplace diversity and inclusion, subtle and overt discrimination, pregnancy discrimination, stigmas, sexism, diversity training
- Jessica F. Kirk (Assistant Professor; PhD 2019, CU-Boulder; email@example.com): managing workplace diversity and inclusion, gender and leadership, gender and entrepreneurship, bias and stereotyping, discrimination, sexual harassment
- Kurt Kraiger (Professor & Dept Chair; PhD 1983, Ohio State; firstname.lastname@example.org): employee training and development, mentoring, cognitive aging in the workplace, technology-based instruction in organizations
- Steve Lanivich (Assistant Professor; PhD 2011, Florida State; S.Lanivich@memphis.edu): Mindset of the entrepreneur, entrepreneurial nascence and start-up, coping with entrepreneurial uncertainty, entrepreneurial resources and capital, opportunity recognition
- Alex P. Lindsey (Assistant Professor; PhD 2016, George Mason; email@example.com): managing workplace diversity and inclusion, subtle and overt discrimination, ethnic identity, LGB identity, disabilities, well being, diversity training
- Charles A. (Chuck) Pierce (Professor & Associate Dean; PhD 1995, University at Albany-SUNY; firstname.lastname@example.org): workplace romance, sexual harassment, test bias & discrimination in human capital selection, managerial ethics & ethical decision making, organizational research methods, applied statistics
- Caitlin M. Porter (Assistant Professor; PhD 2016, Purdue; email@example.com): social networks and networking in and across organizations, voluntary employee turnover and work/job withdrawal processes, career management approaches and outcomes
- James M. Vardaman (Professor and Free Enterprise Chair of Excellence; PhD 2009; Memphis; firstname.lastname@example.org): family businesses, family entrepreneurship, organizational change, social networks, turnover
- Robert R. Wiggins (Associate Professor; PhD 1995, Texas; email@example.com): sustained competitive advantage, hypercompetition, information systems
Our faculty currently serve or have served on editorial boards for leading scholarly journals such as Academy of Management Review, Journal of Management, Human Resource Management Review, Journal of Organizational Behavior, Journal of International Business Studies, Organizational Research Methods, Journal of Business and Psychology, and Journal of Managerial Psychology.
Our faculty also invite guest speakers from other universities to give research colloquiums in our department. Examples of faculty who have visited our department include the following: Dr. Kim Cameron (Michigan), Dr. Jeffrey Edwards (UNC-Chapel Hill), Dr. Rodger Griffeth (Ohio U), Dr. Michael Hitt (Texas A&M), Dr. Ruth Kanfer (GA Tech), Dr. David Lepak (Rutgers), Dr. Jeffrey Pfeffer (Stanford), Dr. W. Gerry Sanders (Rice), Dr. Roy Suddaby (Alberta), Dr. Robert Vandenberg (Georgia), and Dr. Herman Aguinis (Indiana).
Faculty-Doctoral Student Research Publications (2015-present; student co-authors indicated by asterisk)
- Ahmad, A. †, King, E., Lindsey, A. †, Sabat, I. †, Phetmisy, C*., & Anderson, A. (In Press). Interpersonal Outcomes of Religious Identity Management at Work. Journal of Management Studies. († authors contributed equally)
- Allen, D.G., & Vardaman, J.M. (2021). Global talent retention: Understanding employee turnover around the world. Emerald Publishing Limited: Bingley.
- Alonso, N. A. *, Porter, C. M., & Cullen-Lester, K. L. (2021). Building Effective Networks for the Transition from the Military to the Civilian Workforce: Who, What, When, and How. Military Psychology.
- *Antin-Yates, V.M., Vardaman, J.M., & Chrisman, J.J. (2021). Social network research in family businesses: A review and integration. Small Business Economics. Forthcoming.
- Carr, J.C., Vardaman, J.M. Marler, L.E., McLarty, B.D., & Blettner, D. (2021). Psychological antecedents of decision comprehensiveness and their relationship to decision quality and performance in family firms: An upper echelons perspective. Family Business Review, 34(1), 33-47.
- Marler, L.E., Vardaman, J.M. and Allen, D.G. (2021). Human resource management in family firms: Review, integration, and opportunities for future research. Research in Personnel and Human Resources Management, 39, 175-201.
- Porter, C. M., & Rigby, J. R.* (2021). The turnover contagion process: An integrative review of theoretical and empirical research. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 42, 212-228.
- Vardaman, J.M., Amis, J.M, Wright, P., & Dyson, B. (2021). Reframing childhood obesity: The role of community interests in change implementation failure. Human Relations, 74(2), 258-285.
- Vardaman, J.M., Markin, E., Penney, C.R., Marler, L., & McKee, D. (2021). Willing and able? The screening and adoption of habitual family venture opportunities. Family Business Review. Forthcoming.
- Vardaman, J.M. & *Montague-Mfuni, M. (2021). Forced transgenerational succession: Insights from a South African family business. Journal of Small Business Management. https://doi.org/10.1080/00472778.2021.1937634.
- Woehler, M.†, Cullen-Lester, K. L.†, Porter, C. M.†, & Frear, K. (2021). Whether, how, and why networks influence men's and women's career success: Review and research agenda. Journal of Management, 47, 207-236. († authors contributed equally)
- Avery, D. R., & Ruggs, E. N. (2020). A death in the family: A metaphor about race and police brutality. Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion: An International Journal.
- Cavanagh*, T.M., Kraiger, K., & Henry, K. (2020). Age-related changes on the effects of job characteristics on job satisfaction: a longitudinal analysis. The International Journal of Aging and Human Development, 91, 60–84.
- Cheung, H., Goldberg, C. B., Konrad, A. M., Lindsey, A., Nicolaides, V., & Yang, Y. (2020). A meta-analytic review of gender composition influencing employees’ work outcomes: implications for human resource development. Human Resource Development International, 23, 491-518.
- Johnson, S. K., Kirk J. F. (2020) Dual-anonymization yields promising results for reducing gender bias: A naturalistic field experiment of applications for Hubble Space Telescope Time. Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific.
- Jones, K. P., Clair, J. A., King, E. B., Humberd, B. K., & Arena*, D.F. (2020). How help during pregnancy can undermine self-efficacy and increase postpartum intentions to quit. Personnel Psychology, 73, 431-458.
- Jorgensen*, D., & Fabian, F. H. 2020. Entrepreneurial process orientation and multiple perspectives of entrepreneurship. In T.K. Das, (Ed). Entrepreneurship and Behavioral Strategy. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Kang*, T., James, S. & Fabian, F. (2020). Real options and strategic bankruptcy. Journal of Business Research, 117,152-162.
- Kraiger, K., & Ford, J.K. (In press.) The science of workplace instruction: Learning and development applied to work. Annual Review of Organizational Psychology and Organizational Behavior.
- Kraiger, K., Cavanagh*, T.M., & Willis, C.M.G. (2020). Why do cognitive prompts hurt learning in older adults? International Journal of Training & Development, 24, 1-17.
- Mathieu, J.E., Wolfson, M.A., Park, S., Luciano, M.M., Bedwell-Torres, W.L., Ramsay, P.S., Klock, E.A., & Tannenbaum, S.I. (in press). Indexing dynamic collective constructs using computer-aided text analysis: Construct validity evidence and illustrations featuring team processes. Journal of Applied Psychology.
- Moore, C., McIntyre, N., & Lanivich, S.E. (In press). ADHD-related neurodiversity and the entrepreneurial mindset. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice.
- Porter, C. M.†, Keith, M. G.†, & Woo, S. E. (2020). A meta-analysis of network positions and creative performance: Differentiating creativity conceptualizations and measurement approaches. Psychology of Aesthetics, Creativity, and the Arts, 14, 50-67. († authors contributed equally)
- Reddy, R. & Fabian, F. 2020. Information asymmetry and host country institutions in cross-border acquisitions. Management International Review, 60, 909-938. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11575-020-00431-w.
- Robinson*, A. N., Arena*, D. F., Lindsey, A. P., & Ruggs, E. N. (2020). Expanding how we think about diversity training. Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 13, 236-241.
- Sabat, I. E., Lindsey, A. P., King, E. B., Winslow, C., Jones, K. P., Membere, A., & Smith*, N. (2020). Stigma expression outcomes and boundary conditions: A meta-analysis. Journal of Business and Psychology, 35, 171–186.
- Sanchez*, D.R., Nelson*, T. R., Kraiger, K., Weiner, E., Lu, Y., & Schnall, J.H. (in press). Defining motivation in video game-based training: Exploring the differences between measures of motivation. International Journal of Training and Development. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijtd.12233.
- Tabor, W.T., & Vardaman, J.M. (2020). Succession in family firms: The importance of non-family buy-in. Harvard Business Review, May 16.
- Trusty*, J., Fabian, F. and Montague-Mfuni, M. forthcoming. Toilets for All: Corporate Social Entrepreneurship in Bangladesh and Countries in Sub-Saharan Africa. Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies.
- Trusty, J., Montague-Mfuni, M. & Fabian, F. 2020. Sustainability priorities of industry leaders –2020 and beyond. Business Forum, 28, (1).
- Vardaman, J.M., Amis, J.M, Wright, P., & Dyson, B. (2020). Reframing childhood obesity: The role of community interests in change implementation failure. Human Relations. https://doi/10.1177/0018726719899464.
- Zhang, L., Van Iddekinge, C., Arnold, J., Roth, P., Lievens, F., Lanivich, S.E., Jordan, S. (in press). What's on job seekers' social media sites? A content analysis and effects of structure on recruiter judgements and predictive validity. Journal of Applied Psychology.
- Bedwell, W.L. (2019). Adaptive team performance: The influence of membership fluidity on shared team cognition. Frontiers in Psychology, 10, 1-15.
- Keplinger, K., Johnson, S. K., Kirk, J. F., Barnes*, L. Y. (2019) Women at work: Changes in sexual harassment between September 2016 and September 2018. PLOS ONE 14(7): e0218313.
- Kraiger, K., Finkelstein, L.M., & Varghese*, L.S. (2019). Enacting effective mentoring behaviors: Development and initial investigation of the cuboid of mentoring. Journal of Business and Psychology, 34, 403–424.
- Lindsey, A., King, E., Amber*, B., Sabat, I., & Ahmad, A. (2019). Examining why and for whom reflection diversity training works. Personnel Assessment and Decisions, 2, 82-90.
- Lindsey, A., King, E., Gilmer*, L., Sabat, I., & Ahmad, A. (2019). The benefits of identity integration across life domains. Journal of Homosexuality, 67, 1164-1172.
- McLarty, B.D., Vardaman, J.M., & Barnett, T.R. (2019). Congruence and exchange: The influence of supervisors on employee performance in family firms. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 43(2), 302-321.
- Mohr, J., Markell, H., King, E. B., Jones, K. P., Peddie, C. I., & Kendra, M. (2019). Affective antecedents and consequences of revealing and concealing a lesbian, gay, or bisexual identity. Journal of Applied Psychology, 104, 1266-1282.
- Porter, C. M., Posthuma, R., Maertz, C. P., Jr., Joplin, J., Rigby*, J. R., Gordon, M., & Graves, K. (2019). Do embeddedness aspects strengthen or weaken the informal job search-turnover relationship? Journal of Applied Psychology, 104, 678-689.
- Porter, C. M., & Rigby*, J. R. (2019). How do people decide to initiate social network relationships? Personal Relationships, 26, 310-330.
- Ruggs, E. N., Walker, S. S., & Corrington*, A., Nittrouer*, C. (2019). Say it loud, I'm black and proud: The effectiveness of racial acknowledgments at work. Personnel Assessment and Decisions, 2, 1-11.
- Smith*, A., Moghaddam*, K., & Lanivich, S.E. (2019). A set-theoretic investigation into the origins of creation and discovery opportunities. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 13(1): 75-92.
- Trusty*, J., Allen, D.A., & Fabian, F. (2019). Hunting while working: An expanded model of employed job search. Human Resource Management Review, 29, 28-42. DOI: 10.1016/j.hrmr.2017.12.001
- Walker, S. S., Ruggs, E. N., Taylor, R., & Frazier, L. (2019). Reporting sexual harassment: The role of psychological safety climate. Industrial and Organizational Psychology Perspectives on Science and Practice, 12, 106-109.
- Walker, S. S., Ruggs, E. N., Morgan, W. B., & DeGrassi, S. W. (2019). Diverse perspectives on diversity: Exploring interpersonal interactions and attitudes in heterogeneous groups. Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion: An International Journal, 38, 2-19.
- Dhaenens*, A.J., Marler, L.E., Vardaman, J.M., & Chrisman, J.J. (2018). Mentoring in family businesses: Toward an understanding of commitment outcomes. Human Resource Management Review, 28, 46-55
- Fletcher, K.A.*, Telford, B.N.*, Frick, S.E.*, & Bedwell, W.L. (2018). Enhancing training with well-designed checklists. International Journal of Training and Development, 22(4), 289-300.
- Fletcher, K.A.*, Bedwell, W.L., Voeller, M., Coe, D., Morris, M.L., Haselden, B., Reller, P., & Zambroski, C. (2018). The art of critical thinking in nursing: A novel multi-modal humanities curriculum. Medical Science Educator, 28(1), 27-29.
- Lyons, B. J., Martinez, L. R., Ruggs, E. N., Hebl, M. R., Ryan, A. M., O'Brien, K. R., & Roebuck*, A. (2018). To say or not to say: Different strategies of acknowledging a visible disability. Journal of Management, 44, 1980-2007.
- Mallon, M.R., Lanivich, S.E., & Klinger, R.L. (2018). Resource configurations for new family venture growth. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research, 24(2): 521-537.
- Marlow, S.L.*, Bedwell, W.L., Zajac, S., Reyes, D.L.*, LaMar, M., Khan, S., Lopreiato, J., & Salas, E. (2018). Multiple patient casualty scenarios: A measurement tool for teamwork. Simulation in Healthcare, 13, 394-403.
- Mattingly*, V. & Kraiger, K. (2019). Can emotional intelligence be trained? A meta-analytical investigation. Human Resource Management Review, 29, 140-155.
- Miller-Stevens, K., Taylor*, J.A., Morris, J.C., & Lanivich, S.E. (2018). Assessing value differences between leaders of two social venture types: Benefit corporations and nonprofit organizations. VOLUNTAS: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations, 29(5): 938-950.
- Ndofor, H., Fabian, F, & Michel, J. (2018). Chaos in industry environments. IEEE Transactions in Engineering Management. 65, 191203. DOI: 10.1109/TEM.2017.2787860
- Ruggs, E. N., Ames Stuart, J., & Yang, L. W. (2018). The effect of traditionally marginalized groups in advertising on consumer response. Marketing Letters, 29, 319-335.
- Vardaman, J.M, Allen, D.G., & Rogers*, B.L. (2018). We are friends but are we family? Organizational identification and nonfamily employee turnover. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 42, 290-309.
- Allen, D.G., & Vardaman, J.M. (2017). Recruitment and retention across cultures. Annual Review of Organizational Psychology and Organizational Behavior, 4(1), 153-181.
- Arena*, D. F., & Jones, K. P. (2017). To "B" or not to "B": Assessing the disclosure dilemma of bisexual individuals at work. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 103, 86-98.
- Bell, B. S., Tannenbaum, S. I., Ford, J. K., Noe, R. A., & Kraiger, K. (2017). 100 years of training and development research: What we know and where we should go. Journal of Applied Psychology, 102, 305-323.
- Jones, K. P., Sabat, I. E., King, E. B., Ahmad, A. S., McCausland, T. C., & Chen, T. R. (2017). Isms and schisms: A meta-analysis of the prejudice-discrimination relationship across racism, sexism, and ageism. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 38, 1076-1110.
- Frick, S.E., Fletcher, K.A., Ramsay, P.S., & Bedwell, W.L., (2017). Understanding team maladaptation through the lens of the four R’s of adaptation. Human Resource Management Review, 28(4), 441-722.
- King, E. B., Mohr, J., Peddie, C., Jones, K. P., & Kendra, M. (2017). Predictors of identity management: An exploratory experience-sampling study of lesbian, gay, and bisexual workers. Journal of Management, 43, 476-502.
- Jones, K. P. (2017). To tell or not to tell? Examining the role of discrimination in the pregnancy disclosure process at work. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 22, 239250.
- King, E. B., Dawson, J. F., Jensen, J., & Jones, K. P. (2017). A socioecological approach to relational demography: How demographic representativeness and respectful coworkers affect job attitudes. Journal of Business and Psychology, 32, 1-19.
- Jones, K. P., Arena*, D. F., Nittrouer*, C. L., Alonso*, N. M., & Lindsey, A. P. (2017). Subtle discrimination at work: A vicious cycle. Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 10, 51-76.
- Kuykendall, L., Lei*, X., Tay, L., Cheung*, H.K., Kolze*, M., Lindsey, A., Silvers*, M., & Engelsted*, L. (2017). Subjective quality of leisure and worker well-being: Validating measures and testing theory. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 103, 14-40.
- Lindsey, A., Avery, D., Dawson, J., & King, E. (2017). Mirrors or misalignments: Management ethnic representativeness and perceived mistreatment. Journal of Applied Psychology, 102, 1545-1563.
- Lindsey, A., King, E., Membere*, A., & Cheung*, H.K. (2017) Two types of diversity training that really work. Harvard Business Review. July 28th, 2017. https://hbr.org/2017/07/two-types-of-diversity-training-that-really-work
- Marshburn, C. K., Harrington*, N. T., & Ruggs, E. N. (2017). Taking the ambiguity out of subtle and interpersonal workplace discrimination. Industrial and Organizational Psychology Perspectives on Science and Practice, 10, 87-93.
- Martinez, L. R., Sawyer, K., Thoroughgood, C., Ruggs, E. N., & Smith*, N. A. (2017). The importance of being "me": The relation between authentic identity expression and transgender employees' work-related attitudes and experiences. Journal of Applied Psychology 102, 215-226.
- Pichler, S., Ruggs, E. N., & Trau, R. N. C. (2017). Worker outcomes of LGBT-supportive policies: A cross-level model. Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion: An International Journal, 36, 17-32.
- Rogers*, B.L., Vardaman, J.M., Allen, D.G., Muslin, I.S., & Baskin, M.B. (2017). Turning up by turning over: The change of scenery effect in Major League Baseball. Journal of Business and Psychology, 32(5), 547-560.
- Sabat, I., Lindsey, A., King, E., Ahmad, A., Membere*, A., & Arena*, D. (2017). How prior knowledge of LGB identities alters the effects of workplace disclosure. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 103, 56-70.
- Winkler, S. L., Cooper, R., Kraiger, K., Ludgwig, A., Gaunaurd, I., Fisher, A., Kairall, J., Elliott, S., Wilson, S., & Esquenazi, A. (2017). Self-management intervention for amputees in a virtual world environment. Journal of Alternative Medicine Research, 9, 141-145.
- Winslow*, C., Kaplan, S., Bradley-Geist, J., Lindsey, A., Ahmad, A., & Hargrove*, A. K. (2017). An examination of two positive organizational interventions: For whom do these interventions work? Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 22, 129-138.
- Bosco, F.A., Aguinis, H., Field, J.G., Pierce, C.A., & Dalton, D.R. (2016). HARKing's threat to organizational research: Evidence from primary and meta-analytic sources. Personnel Psychology, 69, 709-750.
- Cavanagh*, T.M., Kraiger, K., & Henry, K. Age-related changes on the effects of job characteristics on job satisfaction: a longitudinal analysis. The International Journal of Aging and Human Development, 91, 60–84.
- Cavanagh*, T.M., Kraiger, K., & Peters*, J. (2016). Cognitive prompts fail to moderate the impact of stereotype threat on older adults' training performance. Journal of Organizational Psychology, 16(2), 88-98.
- Cheung, H., Lindsey, A., King, E., & Hebl, M. (2016). Beyond sex: Exploring the effects of femininity and masculinity on women's use of influence tactics. Gender in Management: An International Journal, 31, 43-60.
- Jones, K. P., King, E. B., Gilrane, V. L., McCausland, T. C., Cortina, J. M., & Grimm, K. J. (2016). The baby bump: Managing a dynamic stigma over time. Journal of Management, 42, 1530-1556.
- Jones, K. P., Peddie, C. I., Gilrane, V. L., King, E. B., & Gray, A. (2016). Not so subtle: A meta-analysis of the correlates of subtle and overt discrimination. Journal of Management, 42, 1588-1613.
- Ruggs, E. N., Hebl, M. R., Caridad Rabelo*, V., Weaver*, K. B., Kovacs*, J., & Kemp*, A. S. (2016). Baltimore is burning: Can I-O psychologists help extinguish the flames? Industrial and Organizational Psychology Perspectives on Science and Practice (Focal Article), 9, 1-23.
- Tierney, W., Schweinsberg, M., Jordan, J., ... Bedwell, W.L., et al. (2016). Data from a pre-publication independent replication initiative examining ten moral judgement effects. Nature Scientific Data, 3, 160082.
- Schweinsberg, M., Madan, N., Vianello, M., … Bedwell, W.L., et al. (2016). The pipeline project: Pre-publication independent replications of a single laboratory’s research pipeline. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 66, 55-67.
- Van Iddekinge, C.H., Lanivich, S.E., Roth, P.L., & Junco, E. (2016). Social media for selection? Validity and adverse impact potential of a Facebook-based assessment. Journal of Management, 42(7): 1811-1835.
- Vardaman, J.M., Allen, D.G., Otondo, R.F., Hancock, J., Shore, L. & Rogers*, B.L. (2016). Social comparisons and organizational support: Implications for retention and commitment. Human Relations, 69, 1493-1505.
- Aissaoui*, R., & Fabian, F.F. (2015). The French paradox: Implications for variations in global convergence. Journal of International Management, 21, 31-48.
- Anderson*, A.J., Ahmad*, A.S., King, E.B, Lindsey, A., Feyre*, R., Ragone*, S. & Kim*, S. (2015). The effectiveness of three training strategies to reduce the influence of bias in evaluations of female leaders. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 45, 522-529.
- Bosco, F.A., Aguinis, H., Singh, K., Field, J.G., & Pierce, C.A. (2015). Correlational effect size benchmarks. Journal of Applied Psychology, 100, 431-449.
- Clampit*, J., Kedia, B. Fabian, F. & Gaffney, N. (2015). Offshoring satisfaction: The role of partnership credibility and cultural complementarity. Journal of World Business, 50, 79-93.
- Cropanzano, R., Fortin, M., & Kirk, J. F. (2015). How do we know when we are treated fairly? Justice rules and fairness judgments. Research in Personnel and Human Resources Management, 33, 279-350.
- Lanivich, S.E. (2015). The RICH Entrepreneur: Conserving resources in contexts of uncertainty. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 39(4): 863-894
- Lindsey, A., King, E., Cheung*, H., Hebl, M., Lynch*, S., & Mancini*, V. (2015). When do women respond against discrimination? Exploring factors of subtlety, form, and focus. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 45, 649-661.
- Lindsey, A., King, E., Hebl, M., & Levine*, N. (2015). The impact of method, motivation, and empathy on diversity training effectiveness. Journal of Business and Psychology, 30, 605-617.
- O'Brien, K. R., Martinez, L. R., Ruggs, E. N., Rinehart, J., & Hebl, M. (2015). Policies that make a difference: Bridging the gender equity and work-family gap in academia. Gender in Management: An International Journal, 30, 358-378.
- Ruggs, E. N., Martinez, L. R., Hebl, M. R., & Law, C. (2015). Workplace trans-actions: How organizations, coworkers, and individual openness can reduce gender identity discrimination. Psychology of Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity, 2, 404-412.
- Ruggs, E. N., Hebl, M. R., & Williams*, A. (2015). Weight isn't selling: The insidious effects of weight stigmatization in retail settings. Journal of Applied Psychology, 100, 1483-1496.
- Salas, E., Shuffler, M.L., Thayer, A. L., Bedwell, W.L., & Lazzara, E.H. (2015). Understanding and improving teamwork in organizations: A scientifically based practical guide. Human Resource Management, 54(4), 599-622.
- Solove, E., Fisher, G.G., & Kraiger, K. (2015). Coping with job loss and re-employment: A two-wave study. Journal of Business and Psychology, 30, 529-541.
- Van den Bos, K., Cropanzano, R., Kirk, J., Jasso, G., & Okimoto, T. G. (2015). Expanding the horizons of social justice research: Three essays on justice theory. Social Justice Research, 28(2), 229-246.
- Vardaman, J.M., Taylor, S.G., Allen, D.G., Gondo, M.B., & Amis, J.M. (2015). Translating intentions to behavior: The interaction of network structure and behavioral intentions in understanding employee turnover. Organization Science, 26, 1177-1191.
Faculty-Doctoral Student Research Conference Presentations (2015-present)
- Ruggs, E.N., Bedwell-Torres, W.L., Fabian, F., Hussey, A., & Arena, D.F. 2021. In C.A. LeNoble (Chair) panel, Making I/O Research RAPID in Times of Crisis: Quick-Response NSF Funding Insights. Symposium conducted at the 36th Annual Conference of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, New Orleans, LA.
- Reddy*, R. and Fabian, F. 2020. Explaining Equity Sought by Emergning Market Firms in Advance Market Acquisitions. Accepted for presentation Southern Management Association, St. Petersburg, FL.
- Montague-Mfuni*, M., Leonel*, R., Aissaoui, R., Fabian, F. and Nag*, D. 2020. Culture or Demography: Implications of Board Inclusivity and CSR. Accepted for presentation, Strategic Management Society, London, UK. (virtual)
- Robinson*, A. and Fabian, F. 2020. Work-Life Postures for Organizations: Organizational Structural and Cultural Responses to Employees. Accepted for presentation, Academy of Management, Vancouver, CA. (virtual)
- Montague-Mfuni*, M. Aissaoui, R., and Fabian, F. 2020 What about institutions do host country partners want to borrow? China in Africa and the pursuit of Stability. Accepted for presentation at the annual Academy of International Business conference, Miami, FL. (virtual)
- Montague-Mfuni*, M. Fabian, F. and Trusty*, J. 2020. Innovation Africa: Moving to the Technology Cluster Level of Analysis to Energize Transnational Communities. Accepted for presentation at the African Academy of Management, Lagos, Nigeria
- Trusty*, J., Fabian, F. Montague-Mfuni*, M. 2020. Sustainable Development Goals and Corporate Engagement in Africa. African Academy of Management, Lagos, Nigeria
- Jorgensen*, D and Fabian, F. 2019. Neuroentrepreneurship, Personality, and Entrepreneurial Process Orientation. Strategic Management Society, Minneapolis, MN.
- Leonel*, R., Fabian, F. and Nalick, M. 2019. Corporate Social Activity: Firms' effort to influence social institutions. Southern Management Association, Norfolk, VA.
- Leonel*, R. and Fabian, F. 2019. Who is Included in What Strategic Management Research: A topic analysis by journals and years. Academy of Management, Boston, MA.
- Jorgensen*, D. and Fabian, F. 2019. Entrepreneurial Process Orientation and Today's Entrepreneur: A "Choice" of Three Theories. Academy of Management, Boston, MA.
- Montague Mfuni*, M., Fabian, F. and Trusty*, J. 2019. Diversity or Representation on Corporate Boards: What is the difference for CSR strategic decisions? Academy of International Business-Africa, Accra, Ghana.
- Rhew*, N. and Fabian, F. 2019 Are Emerging Markets Emerging? A novel test of economic development and liberalization patterns. Accepted for presentation at the Academy of International Business, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Kang*,T., James, S. and Fabian, F. 2018. Real options and strategic bankruptcy. Southern Management Association, Lexington, KY
- Trusty*, J., Fabian, F. and Montague-Mfuni*, M. 2018. Measuring Shared Social Value. Nominated for best paper, Academy of International Business, Southeast, Nashville.
- Montague-Mfuni*, M., Fabian, F. and Trusty*, J. 2018. Problematic developing markets or leading indicators? Corporate social lessons from long-disenfranchised populations. Strategic Management Sociey, Paris France.
- Jorgensen*, D., Leonel*, R. and Fabian, F.2018. Emergent strategy threats to identity and legitimacy. Strategic Management Society, Paris, France.
- Reddy*, R., Park, S., and Fabian, F. 2018 Buying the buyers: Examining the effects of customer –base concentration on acquisitions. Academy of Management, Chicago, IL.
- Leonel*, R., Kang*, T.H., Montague-Mfuni*, M., and Fabian, F. 2018. The interplay between formal and informal institutions in attracting a bitcoin market. Academy of International Business, Minneapolis, MN.
- Aissaoui*, R., Fabian, F. and Uzuegbunam, I. 2018. Globalization, Economic Development, and Corruption: A cross-lagged contingency perspective. Academy of International Business, Minneapolis, MN.
- Leonel*, R. and Fabian, F. 2018. Managing Tokenized Organizations: Understanding Blockchain Technologies beyond the Cryptocurrency Phenomenon. Academy of Management specialized conference:Big Data and Managing in a Digital Economy. April 2018, Surry, United Kingdom.
- Leonel*, R. and Fabian, F. 2017. Institutional Logics and Engagement in Disintermediation Projects: The Blockchain Adoption. Strategic Management Society, Houston, TX.
- Kang*, T., Fabian, F. and Reddy*, R. 2017. Revisiting the Evaluation of Equity Investments in Foreign Firms: Strategic Motivations and Investment Dynamics. Southern Management Association, St. Petersburg, FL.
- Aissaoui*, R. and Fabian, F. 2017 . The Globe Debate: Power Structures Interdependency and Gaps between Individual Values and National Practices Southeast Academy of International Business, Washington DC.
- Aissaoui*, R. and Fabian, F. 2017. When power structures interdependency create gaps
- between individual and national values. Academy of Management, Atlanta, GA.
- Reddy*, R. and Fabian, F. EMFs 2017. Equity Ownership in Their Advanced Market Acquisitions: A Country of Origin Perspective, Academy of Management, Atlanta, GA.
- Black, J., Mischel, L., Rhew*, N. and Fabian, F. 2017. I-Generation: Millennial Students on Steroids? Organization Behavior Teaching Conference, Providence, Rhode Island.
- Reddy*, R. and Fabian, F. 2017. Examining the Effect of Home Country On Outward FDI of Emerging Markets to Advanced Markets, Academy of International Business, Dubai. UAE.
- Aissaoui*, R. and Fabian, F. 2016. Going Global: A longitudinal assessment at the individual and national levels. Awarded Best Conference Paper. AIB US Southeast, Tampa, FL.
- Aissaoui*, R. and Fabian, F. 2016. The Global Convergence Controversy: A longitudinal multilevel assessment of cultural change. Southern Management Association, Charlotte, NC. Awarded Best paper in track.
- Reddy*, R., Fabian, F. and Kedia, B. 2016. Home is where the premium is: A country of origin perspective on EMF acquisition bids. Academy of Management, Anaheim, CA.
- Trusty*, J. and Fabian, F. 2016. The New Breed of Business-NGO partnerships:Market Focus vs. CSR Focus. Academy of International Business, New Orleans, LA.
- Aissaoui*, R., Fabian F. and Taylor-Bianco, A. 2016. A typology of organizational stigma, social exclusion, and coping strategies. Western Academy of Management, Portland, OR.
- Kinnamon*, E. and Fabian, F. 2015. When Being Diverse is Not Enough. Southern Management Association, St. Petersburg, FL.
- Reddy*, R., Kedia, B. and Fabian, F. 2015. Managing Cross-Border Acquisition Negotiations: How the Host Country Institutions and Acquirer Strategies Determine Acquisition Duration. Southern Management Association, St. Petersburg, FL. Awarded Best paper in Track.
Management Doctoral Program of Study
For the PhD program in management, 72 credit hours of coursework beyond a Bachelor's degree (57 credit hours beyond a Master's degree) must be completed including the following:
Research Methods Core Courses (12 credits)
- SCMS 8530 Statistical Techniques in Business Research
- SCMS 8540 Multivariate Analysis in Business Research
- MKTG 8217 Theory Construction and Evaluation
- MGMT 8921 Seminar in Research Methods
Management Research Seminars (12 credits)
- MGMT 8220 Seminar in Human Resource Management
- MGMT 8421 Seminar in Organizational Behavior
- MGMT 8422 Seminar in Organization Theory
- MGMT 8500 Seminar in Strategic Management
- Management Research Seminars
- MGMT 8423: Organizational Behavior II: Research in Workplace Diversity and Inclusion
- MGMT 8508: Corporate Strategy: Research in Entrepreneurship
- Research Methods Courses
- ECON 8125 Applied Statistical Methods for Business & Economics
- MKTG 8930 Advanced Research Methods
- MKTG 8216 Structural Equations Modeling
- PSY 8304 Measurement Theory and Psychometrics
- PSY 8305 Quantitative Methods for Reviewing Research (meta-analysis)
- PSY 8306 Linear Structural Modeling
- PSY 8310 Mixed-model Regression Analysis
- PSY 8312 Qualitative Research Methods in Psychology
- Independent Study
- MGMT 8910 Problems in Management
Dissertation Research (6 credits minimum; 18 credits maximum)
- BA 9000 Dissertation
Notes: (1) Students must register for at least 9 credits each semester until after their coursework and comprehensive exam are completed. (2) Some students take BA 8800 (Reading for Comps) while studying for the comprehensive exam.