University Middle | A New Kind of School
Watch below to hear from students, parents, faculty and staff on what makes University Middle one of a kind!
Reopening 2020-2021 Guidelines
University Schools will be reopening for the 2020-21 school year under the following reopening guidelines: University Schools Reopening Guidelines.
University Middle specific guidelines can be found here: U Middle Reopening Guidelines.
This page, parents, and guardians will be notified with any pertinent updates.
University Schools will begin offering regular on-site COVID-19 testing for our staff and students. Testing will be free of charge and provided by the “Test to Protect” program recently initiated by the City of Memphis and the Shelby County Health Department.
Though participation will not be mandatory, we know that our strength is in numbers. Our hope is that this practice will add an additional measure of safety and security for our school community.
- Testing will be from Noon - 2pm (see dates below).
- Screening tests will administered using a pool testing approach.
- Pooling—sometimes referred to as pool testing, pooled testing, or batch testing—means combining respiratory samples from several people and conducting one laboratory test on the combined pool of samples to detect SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. Pooling allows laboratories to test more samples with fewer testing materials.
- If a pooled test result is negative, then all the samples can be presumed negative with the single test. In other words, all of the people who provided samples can be assumed to test negative for SARS-CoV-2 infection.
- If the pooled test result is positive, each of the samples in the pool will need to be tested individually to determine which samples are positive.
- Results will be provided to the school within 24-48 hours. All patient information will be kept strictly confidential. In the event of a positive test result individuals will be notified immediately and appropriate notification, classroom sanitization, and contact tracing procedures will be initiated.
Test dates are as follows:
- Monday, February 1st
- Thursday, February 11th
- Monday, February 22nd
- Friday, March 5th
- Monday, March 15th
- Thursday, March 25th
- Tuesday, April 6th
- Thursday, April 15th
- Monday, April 26th
- Thursday, May 6th
- Monday, May 17th
Please see the letter below from Mayor Jim Strickland and FAQ Infographic from the City of Memphis.
Welcome Rising 6th and 7th Graders!
- General Supply List
- Algebra I Letter and Course Application
- World Language Letter and Course Agreement
Congratulations to University Middle students, parents, faculty and staff on a wonderful inaugural year!
Join us in celebrating the innovation, perseverance and flexibility of the students, staff and parents that has allowed us to adjust to virtual learning seamlessly and finish the year strong.
Watch the video < here >
A new kind of school
University Middle is a totally new kind of school. A school that reflects the demands of the dynamic, high-tech, diverse world in which we live. A school where students don’t just see people of different races and genders and religions – they work with them, learn from them and come to understand them. A school that teaches students to take ownership of their learning though projects they care about, with results they can touch, display, market, broadcast or give back to the community.
As an extension of the University of Memphis, University Middle is a school where education starts in classrooms, but ultimately ends up in the world. It is a school that values and practices hands-on learning. A school that builds its curriculum around the interests of the students who walk its halls. A school that isn’t just different; it’s fun!
Our inaugural sixth-grade class is comprised of 75 students from 24 different elementary schools that engage in Project-Based Learning.
Interested in Learning More about University Middle?
If you are interested in University Middle School your child/children is invited to schedule a visit. Students will take a tour of the school and participate in classroom activities with peers.
We are located in East High School's first floor west wing. Parking is available in the lot off of the Walnut Grove entrance. Pleaes enter the building through the main entrance of the west wing. Look for the large columns and University Middle School yard signs.
Please call us at 901-633-4120 for additional assistance.
University Middle Honored at 2019 SPARK Awards
University Middle honored with a 2019 SPARK Award! Read and watch the ceremony here.