University Concern or Complaint

The University of Memphis is committed to providing a positive environment of work, study, and leisure/recreation for our students, faculty, and staff. Unfortunately, at times complaints or concerns from students may arise in the daily operations of campus.

Concerns or complaints about any function of the university are ordinarily handled through the normal administrative chain. Students can take the following steps to file a formal complaint:

  • Write a letter to the dean, department head or director responsible for the area of complaint. Include in the letter an overview of the problem and the resolution requested.
  • If you are unsure of where to address a specific complaint, contact the Dean of Students Office, UC 359, 901.678.2187, submit the student complaint form below, or email the Dean of Students Office at deanofstudents@memphis.edu.


Submit A Concern Or Complaint >

Complaint Resolution Policies and Procedures for Non-Tennessee Resident Students in State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement States, commonly known as SARA.

Student complaints relating to consumer protection laws that involve distance learning education offered under the terms and conditions of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) must first be filed with the institution to seek resolution.

Complainants not satisfied with the outcome of the institution’s internal process may appeal, within two years of the incident about which the complaint is made, to the Tennessee Higher Education Commission (https://www.tn.gov/thec/bureaus/student-aid-and-compliance/postsecondary-state-authorization/request-for-complaint-review.html).

For purposes of this process, a complaint shall be defined as a formal assertion in writing that the terms of SARA or the laws, standards or regulations incorporated by the SARA Policies and Standards (http://www.nc-sara.org/content/sara-manual) have been violated by the institution operating under the terms of SARA.

For a list of SARA member states, please visit the NC-SARA website (http://nc-sara.org/sara-states-institutions). Students residing in non-SARA states should consult their respective state of residence for further instruction for filing a complaint.

Learn more about State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) >