Definition of On-Campus Employment

  • On-campus employment includes work performed on the University premises, employed by the I-20 issuing institution. This includes work for departments or administrative offices, graduate assistantships, as well as jobs at the University's library, recreational center and campus labs.
  • On-campus also includes employment with on-campus commercial firms (Starbucks, Peer Power) which provide services for students on campus in a University owned building.
  • Work done at an off-campus location, which is educationally affiliated with the U of M. The student must be paid by the U of M.

Conditions of On-Campus Employment for F-1 International students

  • Must be a current F-1 student maintaining legal F-1 status and pursuing a full course of study - 9 credit hours for graduate students and 12 credit hours for undergraduates during the fall and spring semesters.
  • An exception will be made to the full-time enrollment requirement for an international F-1 student if it is their last semester of enrollment or they are working on the final phase of their degree (dissertation, thesis or final project) and are enrolled at least part-time.
  • Work does not have to be related to course of study.
  • On-campus work is limited to 20 hours per work week while school is in session.
  • Work can be full-time during official university holidays and academic breaks if the F-1 student will be returning to classes the following term.
  • F-1 students may not work on campus after completion of their studies.
  • F-1 students are not eligible for the federal work-study program.
  • F-1 students do not require any special authorization to work on campus.
  • Concurrent enrollment at the University of Memphis and a community college or another university is not acceptable for enrollment requirements for employment eligibility at this university.

Federal Government Regulated Dates That May Impact Employment

  • The earliest date for new international students to arrive in the United States is thirty days (30) prior to the international student orientation session.
  • Orientation dates can be found on the International Student Services website.
  • Students who are offered a Graduate Assistantship should be encouraged to arrive in the USA at least 20 days prior to their first day of work in order to apply for a social security number or card. This is necessary as students must be in the USA for 10 days before they are eligible to apply for a social security number or card and allow another 10 days after the application to receive a social security number or card.

Government Required Forms For International Student Employees

  • Form I-94 - The International student must present a Form I-94 to the International Student Services unit within 15 days of arrival in the United States
  • Social Security Card – The international student is required to provide a proof of employment form in support of their application for a social security card. This form must be completed by the hiring department and given to the student to take with them to the Office of Social Security.
  • Proof of Employment - Social Security Work Verification Letter.
  • Form I-9 - All employees must file a properly completed Form I-9. This form can be completed at the Shared Services Center located in the Administration Building, Room 192, prior to the first day of work. To assist in preparing your students, review the appropriate documents needed as indicated on the Shared Services Center webpage.
  • Form W-4 - Students will be required to complete their payroll direct deposit forms and their Form W-4 at the Finance office.