Events & News
The Title IX: Prevention Center, along with UofM students and community partners, host many events throughout the year. In the Fall semester, the regular events include Walk a Mile in Her Shoes and various information tables. In the Spring semester, the Title IX: Prevention Center and the registered student organization SAPAC coordinates Take Back the Night in March and the campus-wide Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM) in April.
Walk-a-Mile in Her Shoes
WAM took place on Thursday Sept. 22nd on Central Ave at the statue of Ramesses II. Over 120 UofM students and community members gathered to support survivors and victims of intimate partner violence by walking down Central, Highland, Poplar Ave., and Deloach waving signs and donning high heels.
Sexual Assault Awareness Month 2022 events included:
- Healthy Relationships Fair on April 2nd - Students were able to interact with multiple
campus and community partners to learn more about various topics such as consent,
reproductive health, LGBTQ+ topics, suicide prevention, and mental health as they
relate to healthy relationships.
- Self Care for Survivors - A table packed with face masks, candles, affirmations and
other educational material were available for students to learn the importance of
survivors practicing self care.
- Film screening of "The Hunting Ground" - Students were able to watch this 2015 documentary on how universities have historically swept sexual misconduct under the rug. A discussion was held afterwards.
Take Back the Night
Take Back the Night took place on Tuesday March 1st at 5:30pm at Alumni Mall. It included a story of survival from our keynote speaker, Phillis Lewis, survivors speaking out their truth, a candlelight vigil, and a walk around campus to bring awareness to sexual violence on campus. We hope that this program brought empowerment to survivors and allies.
Prevention Efforts in the News
- Community takes a ‘walk in her shoes’ to end violence against women | September 2022 | WREG 3 >
- 9th Annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes at the University of Memphis | October 2019 | Local ABC 24 >
- The UofM Title IX office hosts Healthy Relationships Fair | April 2019 | Daily Helmsman >
- Men and Sexual Violence: Campus Organization Opens An Avenue for Change | April 2019 | Daily Helmsman >
- "I ASK" for Your Consent: All Genders and Sexual Orientations Experience Sexual Assault | April 2019 | Daily Helmsman >
- Campus Group Uses Instagram Contest to Educate Students About Sexual Consent | April 2019 | Daily Helmsman >
- Student Organizations to Host Events and Bring Sexual Assault Awareness | April 2019 | Daily Helmsman >
- UofM Aims to Stop Sexual Assault Before It Happens | November/ December 2018 | Focus Mid-South Magazine >
- Take Back the Night: Students Share Sexual Assault Stories | November 2018 | Daily Helmsman >
- UofM Group Educates Students about Consent | October 2018 | Daily Helmsman >
- UofM Creates Mandatory Sexual Assault Prevention Course | August 2018 | Daily Helmsman >