Events & News
The Title IX: Prevention Center, along with UofM students and community partners, host many events throughout the year. In the Fall semester, the regular events include Walk a Mile in Her Shoes and Take Back the Night. In the Spring semester, the Title IX: Prevention Center coordinates the campus-wide Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM) in April.
October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month and there are a few events taking place on campus:
- From now until October 12th, bring self-care items like snacks, face masks, make-up, journals, lotion, bubble bath, etc. to the Administration Building 226. These items will be put into "Bags of Hope" for recent survivors of interpersonal violence by the Memphis/Shelby County Domestic/Sexual Violence Council.
- October 6th from 10am - 12pm: Visit the Wellness Fair, hosted by the Student Health & Counseling Center for all things related to health and wellness. This event will take place in the Student Plaza.
- October 12th 8:30am - 12:30pm: The University of Memphis Public Safety Institute will be hosting a forum for supporting victims of domestic violence. Registration is required for this event and must be done by October 7th. More information can be found here.
- October 13th 10am - 12pm: SAPAC, Victims' Services, and the Title IX Prevention Center will host a tabling event in the UC Alumni Mall where students can learn more about domestic violence: warning signs, resources, and how to further educate themselves.
- October 14th 5pm - 6pm: Join SAPAC and the Prevention Center for a discussion based workshop called "Behind the Post". This is a discussion around a video highlighting the relationship that looks great through the lens of social media. But not everything is what it seems. This workshop will be held virtually. You can join us via Zoom here.
- October 27th 10am - 12pm: SAPAC and the Prevention Center will host another tabling event surrounding interpersonal violence in the UC Atrium.
Walk-a-Mile in Her Shoes
On September 28th, 2021 the Office for Institutional Equity Prevention Center, Memphis Area Women’s Council, NoMore Memphis, and SAPAC hosted Walk-A-Mile in Her Shoes: The Men's March to Stop Rape, Sexual Assault, and Gender Violence. This was an event that demonstrates male allyship for survivors of domestic/dating violence and sexual assault. Attendees met at Ramesses II Statue to listen to campus partners speak about the importance of supporting survivors and then walked or stumbled, especially if they chose to wear heels, down Central Ave, Highland, and then Desoto before arriving back on campus.
In April 2021, we were able to hold various virtual events in honor of Sexual Assault Awareness Month with our campus and community partners including Walk-A-Mile in Her Shoes, Q&A panels, and Take Back the Night.
As part of Domestic Violence Awareness Month in October, the Title IX: Prevention Center partnered with SAPAC and Safety Net to put on a series of virtual events the week of October 19th, 2020.
Sexual Assault Awareness Month April 2021
- Sexual Assault Q&A Panel: Thursday Session - A panel of Memphis-based domestic violence experts weigh in on various topics concerning
Sexual Assault Q&A Panel: Tuesday Session - A panel of Memphis-based domestic violence experts weigh in on various topics concerning sexual assault.
- TN Coalition to End Domestic & Sexual Violence Lunch and Learn: A History of Sexual Assault Policies & Movements - Our Title IX: Prevention Specialist, Regina Werkhoven, presented on a history of various laws, policies, and movements surrounding sexual assault and other forms of interpersonal violence.
Prevention Efforts in the News
- 9th Annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes at the University of Memphis | October 2019 | Local ABC 24 >
- Students and Community “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes” to Spread Sexual Assault Awareness | September 2019 | Daily Helmsman >
- Kappa Sigma Fraternity Pledges to Stop Campus Sexual Assaults | September 2019 | Daily Memphian >
- Two Conferences Will Address Domestic Violence this Week | September 2019 | Daily Memphian >
- Courtesy & Consent | Spring 2019 | UofM Magazine >
- The UofM Title IX office hosts Healthy Relationships Fair | April 2019 | Daily Helmsman >
- Sexual Assault Awareness Month Sheds Light on Disabled Victims | April 2019 | Daily Helmsman >
- Men and Sexual Violence: Campus Organization Opens An Avenue for Change | April 2019 | Daily Helmsman >
- "I ASK" for Your Consent: All Genders and Sexual Orientations Experience Sexual Assault | April 2019 | Daily Helmsman >
- Campus Group Uses Instagram Contest to Educate Students About Sexual Consent | April 2019 | Daily Helmsman >
- Student Organizations to Host Events and Bring Sexual Assault Awareness | April 2019 | Daily Helmsman >
- UofM Aims to Stop Sexual Assault Before It Happens | November/ December 2018 | Focus Mid-South Magazine >
- Take Back the Night: Students Share Sexual Assault Stories | November 2018 | Daily Helmsman >
- UofM Group Educates Students about Consent | October 2018 | Daily Helmsman >
- UofM Creates Mandatory Sexual Assault Prevention Course | August 2018 | Daily Helmsman >