Events & News
The Title IX: Prevention Center, along with UofM students and community partners, host many events throughout the year. In the Fall semester, the regular events include Walk a Mile in Her Shoes and various information tables. In the Spring semester, the Title IX: Prevention Center and the registered student organization SAPAC coordinates Take Back the Night in March and the campus-wide Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM) in April.
October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Here are some events taking place:
Red Zone Information Table
Monday October 2
UC Alumni Mall
The Red Zone takes place between August - November, when over 50% of college sexual assaults occur. Come by our table to learn about statistics and Bystander Intervention, a skill set used to safely intervene when we see something happening.
Tuesday October 3
Fountain Student Plaza
Hosted by Student Health & Counseling Services for the 22nd year, this fair provides students with campus and community resources to help them best care for themselves as they strive for academic success. Over 30 departments and organizations will take part!
Domestic Violence Awareness Month Information Table
Wednesday October 4
Come learn about healthy vs. unhealthy relationships, warning signs of abuse, and statistics concerning domestic violence.
Don't Make Sex Scary
Monday October 30
Fountain Student Plaza
Join the Title IX: Prevention Center, Student Health & Counseling Services, and A Step Ahead Foundation to learn how to make sex safe, fun, and not scary. Learn about consent and boundaries, sexual health, and birth control.
Walk-a-Mile in Her Shoes
WAM took place on Tuesday September 19 on Central Ave at the statue of Ramesses II. Over 200 UofM students and community members gathered to support survivors and victims of intimate partner violence by walking down Central, Highland, Poplar Ave., and Deloach waving signs and donning high heels.
Prevention Efforts in the News
- Walk a Mile in Her Shoes marchers say 'no more' to violence against women | September 2023 | The Daily Memphian >
- Community takes a ‘walk in her shoes’ to end violence against women | September 2022 | WREG 3 >
- 9th Annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes at the University of Memphis | October 2019 | Local ABC 24 >
- The UofM Title IX office hosts Healthy Relationships Fair | April 2019 | Daily Helmsman >
- Men and Sexual Violence: Campus Organization Opens An Avenue for Change | April 2019 | Daily Helmsman >
- "I ASK" for Your Consent: All Genders and Sexual Orientations Experience Sexual Assault | April 2019 | Daily Helmsman >