Events & News
The Title IX: Prevention Center, along with UofM students and community partners, host events throughout the year. In the Fall semester, the regular events include Walk a Mile in Her Shoes and Take Back the Night. In the Spring semester, the Title IX: Prevention Center coordinates the campus-wide Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM in April).
As part of Domestic Violence Awareness Month in October, the Title IX: Prevention Center partnered with SAPAC and Safety Net to put on a series of virtual events the week of October 19th, 2020. To view the recorded events, please click on the links below.
- Navigating Dating Apps Workshop - This workshop focuses on setting boundaries and general safety tips while using
- One Love: Behind the Post Workshop - With social media, we only see the things people want us to see. This workshop
discusses what might be happening behind the posts and how to safely intervene if
someone is in a toxic relationship.
- Domestic Violence Q&A Panel: Morning Session - A panel of Memphis-based domestic violence experts weigh in on various topics concerning
intimate partner violence. The morning session focused on warning signs, male victims/survivors,
and additional barriers faced by the immigrant community and LGBTQIA+ individuals.
- Domestic Violence Q&A Panel: Afternoon Session - A panel of Memphis-based domestic violence experts weigh in on various topics concerning
intimate partner violence. The afternoon session focused on general topics such as
warning signs, mental health, resources, and how to help a friend who is in an abusive
- Interpersonal Violence in the Black, Queer Community - Phillis Lewis from Love Doesn't Hurt discusses additional barriers that black LGBTQIA+ individuals face concerning dating and domestic violence.
Prevention Efforts in the News
- 9th Annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes at the University of Memphis | October 2019 | Local ABC 24 >
- Students and Community “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes” to Spread Sexual Assault Awareness | September 2019 | Daily Helmsman >
- Kappa Sigma Fraternity Pledges to Stop Campus Sexual Assaults | September 2019 | Daily Memphian >
- Two Conferences Will Address Domestic Violence this Week | September 2019 | Daily Memphian >
- Courtesy & Consent | Spring 2019 | UofM Magazine >
- The UofM Title IX office hosts Healthy Relationships Fair | April 2019 | Daily Helmsman >
- Sexual Assault Awareness Month Sheds Light on Disabled Victims | April 2019 | Daily Helmsman >
- Men and Sexual Violence: Campus Organization Opens An Avenue for Change | April 2019 | Daily Helmsman >
- "I ASK" for Your Consent: All Genders and Sexual Orientations Experience Sexual Assault | April 2019 | Daily Helmsman >
- Campus Group Uses Instagram Contest to Educate Students About Sexual Consent | April 2019 | Daily Helmsman >
- Student Organizations to Host Events and Bring Sexual Assault Awareness | April 2019 | Daily Helmsman >
- UofM Aims to Stop Sexual Assault Before It Happens | November/ December 2018 | Focus Mid-South Magazine >
- Take Back the Night: Students Share Sexual Assault Stories | November 2018 | Daily Helmsman >
- UofM Group Educates Students about Consent | October 2018 | Daily Helmsman >
- UofM Creates Mandatory Sexual Assault Prevention Course | August 2018 | Daily Helmsman >