Support and Development of International Programs

The Study Abroad Office welcomes the continued involvement of UofM faculty and advisors in our efforts to promote international education on campus. Faculty and Advisors are encouraged to support the activities of the Study Abroad Office by helping with the academic advising, recruitment, selection, and orientation of study abroad students. UofM faculty also serve on study abroad committees to help strengthen and enhance existing programs.

UofM faculty may participate in international programs in the following ways:

  • Serve as Faculty Program Directors for summer study abroad programs
  • Participate in a faculty exchange program at one of our partner institutions abroad
  • Serve in various campus-wide capacities to help develop and support international programs
  • Apply for a Fulbright or other international grants to spend a semester or academic year abroad
  • Participate in a Faculty Development Seminar

Faculty-Led Short Term Program Opportunities

Faculty are encouraged to develop new courses to teach abroad during the summer terms. We currently sponsor summer programs in Italy, Belize, China, England, Germany, Ghana and several other countries. The Study Abroad Office works closely with faculty in designing summer abroad programs. Interested faculty may complete and submit a study abroad proposal form as well as a non-traditional course offering request form.

Faculty-led program proposals are reviewed by a Proposal Review Committee. To submit or renew a faculty-led program proposal please click on one of the following.

Submit Faculty-Led Proposal >

Submit Faculty-Led Renewal > 
Proposal/Renewal Deadline Term
September 1 Summer
September 1 Spring Break
September 1 Winter Session

Travel Policy

Before traveling, the Study Abroad Office advises all faculty to familiarize themselves with the BF4001 - University Travel.

All faculty and staff traveling abroad through a UofM sponsored program or are receiving funding from the UofM for independent travel are required to register travel information with the University of Memphis Study Abroad Office.

Submit Travel Registration >

International Teacher Identification Card (ITIC)

The International Teacher Identification Card (ITIC) is available in the Study Abroad Office. The ITIC card offers special discounts,basic travel insurance, phone card and other benefits to full-time teachers and professors. To apply for the ITIC, you need proof that you are a full-time teacher, professor or instructor at an accredited educational establishment. You must be employed for a minimum of 18 hours per week for a minimum of one academic year. Please come to the Study Abroad Office to complete an ITIC application, and we will make your ITIC Card for you. For more information on the ITIC, visit www.isic.org/cards/.