Peter I. Neathery Scholarship/Fellowship
The Peter I. Neathery Scholarships and Fellowships in Computer Science were made possible by a generous gift from the eponymous donor. These merit-based awards are given to both undergraduate and graduate Computer Science students at the University of Memphis. Up to four undergraduate and four graduate students each year may receive the award.
- If sufficient funding is available, and at the discretion of the Computer Science faculty, up to four (4) $1,000.00 Neathery Scholarships may be competitively awarded each year to undergraduate students who are enrolled full-time at the University of Memphis. Recipients may be current students or incoming freshmen.
- Incoming freshmen must have Computer Science as their declared major with an ACT score of 28 or higher (26 or higher for students who have scored 5 on the AP Computer Science A exam).
- Current students must be majoring in Computer Science, have a GPA of 3.5 or higher, and be making satisfactory progress towards their Computer Science degree.
- The scholarship is renewable for a total of three (3) consecutive years; therefore, a student may be awarded this scholarship for a total of four (4) years.
- Awardees are selected by the Computer Science faculty or designated committee.
- If sufficient funding is available, and at the discretion of the Computer Science faculty, up to four (4) Neathery Fellowships for $3,000.00 per student may be awarded.
- This fellowship is for one year of funding.
- Recipients must be full-time current or incoming graduate students majoring in Computer Science.
- Students must have a BS degree in computer science or closely related area, and an undergraduate GPA of 3.5 or above is preferred.
- Current students must be in the graduate program less than one year, and the most recent GPA should also be at least 3.0.
- GRE scores of at least 308 (V+Q) preferred.
- Students must be nominated by at least one Computer Science faculty member.
All applications should be submitted through the University's centralized Tiger Scholarship Manager system. Please refer to the University's Scholarships page for details.
All recipients of the Neathery award are required to:
- Have their photo made
- Provide a brief biography
- Write a thank you note that can be included in the donor's packet
Past Recipients (Graduate)
- Md Mishfaq Ahmed (2018-19)
- Keli Cheng (2018-19)
- Laqin Fan (2016-17)
- Ramita Maharjan (2020-21)
- Priti Oli (2020-21)
- Suravi Regmi (2022-23)
- Monika Shah (2021-22)
- Anup Shakya (2021-22)
- Bidhya Shrestha (2022-23)
- Quang Tran (2014-15)
- Kazi Zaman (2016-17)
Past Recipients (Undergraduate)
- Carmen Accampo (2020-21)
- Laith Alabdalla (2021-22)
- Jason Buck (2008-09)
- Keith Burks (2017-18)
- Xiaoshan Cai (2008-09, 2007-08, 2006-07)
- Tim Doan (2014-15)
- Eric Franks (2008-09)
- Kaleb Gwyn (2021-22, 2022-23)
- Brian Hanson (2006-07)
- Ethan Hawkins (2020-21, 2022-23)
- Sean Higgins (2013-14)
- Angel Hudgins Wells (2022-23)
- Michael Irick (2008-09)
- Grace Kigaita (2018-19)
- Chance Kirby (2022-23)
- Samuel Lawson (2018-19)
- Jordan Lin (2018-19)
- Dalton Mann (2021-22)
- Anton Michna (2021-22)
- Jon Cullyn Moore (2016-17)
- Austin Nabors (2014-15)
- Julia Nordstad (2005-06)
- Austin Thompson (2004-05)
- Tyler Wallace (2017-18)
- Christopher Warner (2020-21)
- James Willson (2018-19)